Charging while on the go ?

Here's a thought.
What if you could extend the range of your existing batteries, using a pedal charger, or similar device ?
Not original, but a thought that might be applied to my StreetRunner build.

If this could be done, wouldn't it extend the distance, one can go using any type battery?
Maybe not an endless amount of recharge, but enough to further the distance one can go.

Not just using pedal power, but couldn't it work with an all electric bike/recumbent/vehicle ?

Here's a couple of links to such a thing.

Pedal Powered

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/how-to/a10245/pedal-power-how-to-build-a-bike-generator-16627209/

Real or fake

There's no narrative so, what he is doing, or what he's checking, and the results, is Greek to the novice.

Last edited:
Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
Two thoughts on this, and I have been down that research path.

I pondered the use of an alternator as an electric motor. Yes, it can be done but I only got as far as blowing up my controller IC due to forgetting something. I have since found mention that they make poor drive motors but no proof or detail. They can take a bit of drive power for generation and need rotor current in order to produce stator output current. You need to generate more than you are taking out. My thinking, only after I removed the diodes (not required for motor use), was to be able to switch them in for controlled regenerative braking but I never got that far. Hooked one without any rotor current to a small petrol motor once - easy starting. Connect a little rotor current - nearly broke my back on the first pull but did break the starter rope. The trick is to isolate the rotor current with a normally closed switch and switch it in when the engine is running.

At first glance, the viability of pedalling a generator depends on how much energy you, the pedaller, has and, could be considered from the point of any generation is worth having if your battery is flat and you are otherwise going nowhere. If you had it set up so that your output went to a battery and not the motor, you would be able to generate while going downhill rather than coasting, while sitting stationary or sitting at traffic lights (would look a little weird), or while watching television at night while you get ready for tomorrow's ride.

Efficiency is another issue. Conversion is usually an inefficient process as you need energy to convert one form to another. I saw somewhere recently that such a process - generation to produce electricity to store in a battery to drive a motor - can have up to 70% losses. That's enough to turn me off it.

A better proposition might be to use a 60-80W solar panel for dual purposes - shade, and topping up your motor battery. A 12V panel with a booster to bring it up to motor battery voltage should suit. There will be some inefficiency, of course. In any case, that's what I have in mind for the future if/when I get to that point. Any generation is better than none and the only pedalling inefficiency is in hauling it around.

A better proposition might be to use a 60-80W solar panel for dual purposes - shade, and topping up your motor battery. A 12V panel with a booster to bring it up to motor battery voltage should suit. There will be some inefficiency, of course. In any case, that's what I have in mind for the future if/when I get to that point. Any generation is better than none and the only pedalling inefficiency is in hauling it around.
Now there's a thought, that's worth keeping around....thanks.

Maybe I can design in some solar panels into the center portion, where the flames are....hmmmmmm :unsure:

Pedalling alone to move this is going to be hard enough without adding a generator into the mix. The amount of battery grunt needed for 1800W is likely to make any such effort a drop in the ocean anyway. Solar panels are a much better idea.

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
Popshot: I forgot he was looking for 1800W. A real hot rod covered in solar panels would not look much different to this one using the solar panels as body panels. Of course, sun exposure at any time would be a limiting factor but they could essentially form the roof and go largely unnoticed.

Pedalling alone to move this is going to be hard enough without adding a generator into the mix. The amount of battery grunt needed for 1800W is likely to make any such effort a drop in the ocean anyway. Solar panels are a much better idea.
Thanks for the reply.

Just to clarify, this will not be a 'pedal' vehicle, as originally planned.

Last edited:
Ah I see. Perhaps it would be best to review how you intend to use it. If taking to shows on a trailer then would the intended batteries do the whole event? If not would it be better / more economical to buy extra or better batteries or buy a means of charging? If the latter, would solar panels provide enough power to charge the batteries quick enough to make any difference or would a petrol generator be needed? My initial thoughts would suggest that buying sufficient battery power in the first place that would negate the need to charge until back home would likely be the better and cheaper option but having a means to charge would be the more flexible option allowing for your estimated useage to be wrong. I'd have thought that a petrol generator would be needed, to allow for charging when solar panels won't work, should you go for the flexible option. You'd probably need to run any such generator for hours to achieve a full charge though. If that time isn't going to be available then you're back to buying enough battery power to start with.

Any pedal generator is likely to be a non starter. Think about the effort that the batteries will have to go through to move such a beast for say 5 or 10 miles. Now imaging putting that effort in entirely yourself for 6 or 12 miles (to allow for conversion losses) to replace that energy. I doubt you'd want to replace anything but a fraction of it unless you're much fitter than me (quite likely).

Last edited:
Ah I see. Perhaps it would be best to review how you intend to use it. If taking to shows on a trailer then would the intended batteries do the whole event?
Yes...All that would be needed might be for some positioning.

My main concern 'at this stage', is the ability to travel 5-10 miles, which should be more than enough for any of our local parade routes.

If and when I decide to try and register it for the road, as a NEV (Neighborhood Electric Vehicle), then there are certain requirements that must be met. But this is not my focus at this time. Just keeping those requirements in mind as I build it.

If not would it be better / more economical to buy extra or better batteries or buy a means of charging?
Maybe...but I'm not anticipating any usage that would require that remedy.

My initial thoughts would suggest that buying sufficient battery power in the first place that would negate the need to charge until back home
This is the exact point I'm dealing with at the moment. I am able to invest in the more expensive lithium batteries, but at this stage of anticipated use of the vehicle, (and it's down time), it may be wasting money. Yet Emma (Twinkle) has me thinking that maybe the batteries in the purchase I'm intending, may not last long in this instance. To purchase the lithium batteries would nearly double the cost.Therefore the reason for my thinking at this time.

https://www.ebay.com/i/303293310776?ul_noapp=true

Thanks so much for your input.