Changing gear whilst stationary with derailleurs ?

Hi all

This looks like a neat and useful idea for a recumbent trike where with an extra derailleur and pedalling backwards you can change up or down the front rings ?

Even more impressive is they change between 60t and 11t !

On the Python it would not work because the chain runs are at very acute angles and also very short it tends to hop across the cassette gears when back pedalling , it would work better as in their case where the next gears down the line are a IGH [ the Mango shown has a mid drive under the seat ]

regards Paul

I think its a fine idea for the front mech. I have the back-end sorted with my N380 CVT hub. This is one of the reasons I prefer IGH over Cassette/Derailleurs...Stationary gear changes.
An absolute essential for "Wrong-Gear-Clarke" you know. ;)

IGH all the way for me baby.
Now to reinvent the Schlumpf or Efneo so it can fit on a Bafang Mid drive.

Even with the old 3 speed Sturmey Archer IGH a Schlumpf-derivate would yield a 6 speed.

It looks nice, but I have my doubts about it.
Like as you ride up a hill, you don't want yo pedal backwards to shift down. You want to kerp your momentum and you loose that as soon as you pedal backwards.

For as you need yo wait for a red light, than I see the advantage. Than you can shift down, while putting your feed in the right position.

It looks nice, but I have my doubts about it.
Like as you ride up a hill, you don't want yo pedal backwards to shift down. You want to kerp your momentum and you loose that as soon as you pedal backwards.
Err no ? you will use a normal derailleur when moving forwards 😁

For as you need yo wait for a red light, than I see the advantage. Than you can shift down, while putting your feed in the right position.
Err yes ! you will use this one if you are stationary , very useful if heavily loaded ? or in a velomobile (y)

Last edited:
Well as you are geared heavy and you go ip, you don't only use the rear. Also the from, especially with such big one.

IGH or the Nuvinci hubs. Both allow you a lot of gear change freedom when stationary or on the move.
For my money the Nuvinci is a real winner, very good and easy to use whether on the move or stationary.
I used to be known a "wrong-gear Clarke", but now I am cured of this affliction. 🤪