Calculator for trail and wheel flop ?

Hi all

Came across this :- Trail calculator

It has a value for wheel flop , without telling you what is considered acceptable ?

puzzled Paul

I had a good look around and all I can find it the explanations of what "flop" is. Not "what levels are desired/acceptable" in a design.

I guess if we were to input the parameters of as many "standard bikes" we could measure and get the "range" of typical values.
Other than this, I am as stumped as you are.

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
Flop usually means a process where something naturally falls or slumps to a position. Some front wheels seem to want to assume a certain angle when the bike is parked and sitting on a stand. Would that be it?

In days of old, long ago when the world was flat, you could ride a bike no hands. It would track straight and you could steer by leaning into corners. I have tried this carefully with a number of used bikes of all types in recent times and I haven't found one that would allow you to do that or, not to the point where I was prepared to risk it. Maybe where I rode years ago did not have significant surface camber. Has bike design changed? Is it a result of flop or trail?

In days of old, long ago when the world was flat, you could ride a bike no hands. It would track straight and you could steer by leaning into corners.
I tend to do a simple test on my bikes ?

Push it along by the saddle [ recumbent's seat back ] can it go in a straight line ?

If no then what happens to it ?

It turns either way and the turn tightens as it moves forward , by just holding the saddle you cannot get the bike to ' unturn ' and straighten up = wheel flop [ try hands free , loose some teeth ]
If turns either way you can get it back on a straight course by just leaning it the opposite way = mild flop easily countered [ this bike would ride easily hands free ]