Building a double Rimmed Wheel

I used Cardboard for rim, and discs and wool for spokes. Started this project after a two to three-year lapse. Date is Thursday, 31 January 2019. Got a double thick cardboard box and using a sharp knife cut box to lay flat. Using a drill bit for a pivot and length of cardboard created a compass to layout a circle on cardboard. Repeated compass layout for a second circle. Cut using sharp knife two circle profiles .
Made axle of paper tube and cut some cardboard discs 75 millimeters (3 inches) diameter , outer discs spaced hundred and ten millimeters from central disc. Central disc has thirty-six equal spaced holes and two outer discs have eighteen equal spaced holes.
Object will be to lace in spokes between axle discs and cardboard (wheel rims) circles using wool to represent spokes. Finished project to represent a two-rimmed rear drive wheel.

Using Brad’s Tutorial of 3-cross lacing of bicycle wheel supplied on Atomic Zombie.com Website, started the journey to realize the project objectives.

Ed' (Edspedal cars) already built a real double rimmed wheel out of real rims.

Sorry Cat, really don't understand what you are trying to achieve with cardboard and woolen thread or for what purpose.

Ed' (Edspedal cars) already built a real double rimmed wheel out of real rims.

Sorry Cat, really don't understand what you are trying to achieve with cardboard and woolen thread or for what purpose.
To Danny C.
Good Morning to you. You will find in thread “The South Of Kent position #64” I raised the question of making a double rimmed wheel. To which Tick Tock (Steve) replied. As to the design used by Ed that is to be congratulated. The why the use of cardboard and wool is the time-honoured method of Brad’s CAD. Cardboard Assisted Design as demonstrated in his book of bicycle building. Unfortunately, the book name escapes my memory and is in storage still after my flat move. Back To cardboard to make a model on the cheap. As I E-mailed Brad, I use public computers at the library, which will be unavailable for a few days starting Monday the 4 th for maintenance. Until later.

Still unsure the how to post pictures. looking to find the solution. Will talk to IT Technician again

I'm fascinated by 'reinventing the wheel'

I've done two wide, four wide, and turnbuckle spokes

At this stage though, I'm not understanding how this is possible.
Need more information as to exactly what your wanting to achieve.

Two rims separated, using one (two hub) design has been done.

So by your word picture and photo, it's hard to see where you're going with this.

It looks as if there will be nothing to keep the rims from wobbling on the 'center point'..the center hub.
The spoke design (triangle), appears to be backwards, thus losing rigidity.
Is there more spokes yet to be laced in?

Also, your idea will more than likely require custom made spokes. Unless you have the equipment cut and turn your own.
When I made my 4x wheels, with custom hubs, I had to have special length spokes cut and threaded, in order to make it work.

Last edited:
With both "rims" laced with nine spokes each, started the process of adding third group of nine spokes with spoke heads visible to first "rim". Pulling first nine spokes into crossed spoke pattern.

the bottom "rim" with the crossed pattern
done.

Pulling second nine spokes into crossed spoke pattern using fourth group of spokes.

the top "rim" with crossed pattern done. Sorry for the hanging wool spokes.
Maybe this is a better view of crossed lacing.

All thirty-six holes of central disc are filled. As wool "Spokes" started to pull through holes of central disc a layer of glue added to hold spokes in place.
Started adding the fifth group of spokes to one of outer discs as picture shows in same reverse pattern of spoke heads on unseen side as central disc was done. Added sixth group to cross spokes.

Similar grouping of spokes to other outer disc using remaining seventh and eighth group of nine spokes…

Used seventy-two spokes in total for lacing of "rims".

Completed Double "Rimmed" Wheel.

OK, got it. I reasoned that is where you were going with this project.
Just wasn't sure at the time.

Will you be transferring this idea into reality?
If so, what will it be used on?

As a novelty wheel (if you ever commit to it in metal) it will look pretty clever, unique & distinctive; but for the life of me I cannot see a practical application or a reason for it.
But that's why this site and community exists, for folks to exercise their own creativity to do things that please them (and that is all that matters).
I hope it goes well in the steel rim and spokes version. Good Luck!

SirJoey

Super Moderator
...but for the life of me I cannot see a practical application or a reason for it.
Personally, I could see a pair on the rear of a trike, as a kind of "dually" look.
More style than actual function, but still would be a unique & very cool look! JMO. :)

OK, got it. I reasoned that is where you were going with this project.
Just wasn't sure at the time.

Will you be transferring this idea into reality?
If so, what will it be used on?
Morning To All. I am hoping to use the wheel as the rear drive of a tadpole upright trike. I have a few other ideas to develop in cardboard and then metal. Not sure as to start date of metal fabricating but then Rome was an idea before reality. To all the best of the day.

Looks interesting.
So the center disc is going to have double the number of holes as the outer discs?

Brad
Yes, Radical Brad the centre disc will have 36 holes, and I hope to use the welded system of wheel building as found in the tutorial. The alignment of holes of outer discs to centre disc will need to be correct or I'm buggered.
Have the best weekend spring is coming.

This is a wood and cardboard model of vehicle I am in process of designing. The model’s wheels will be spoked versions in actual build. The back frame to be shorter and seat to be padded. May enclose front for mud and rain. Mud guards for all wheels. But still thinking. Front wheels are 10mm axle the why a forked frame.

The third picture is without the pedals for clarity. O' the brakes being a combination of Sturmey-Archer Drum on front and disc on back.
Well post more information as project grows.

Morning Cat

Interesting build.

It's early yet, but I have one question.
Is the cross piece over the crank, there just to hold the model together, or is it part of the final design?

Reason I ask, is that part jumped right out there, as possibly interfering with legs pedal motion.

Morning Cat

Interesting build.

It's early yet, but I have one question.
Is the cross piece over the crank, there just to hold the model together, or is it part of the final design?

Reason I ask, is that part jumped right out there, as possibly interfering with legs pedal motion.
Hi to you edspecialcars, it is afternoon here in England {15:22}the cross piece yes. Likely not in final design as model is small need for support whilst build.
Also have other issues to resolve likely during actual build.
All the best to you. Ta Ta

Hi to you edspecialcars, it is afternoon here in England {15:22}the cross piece yes. Likely not in final design as model is small need for support whilst build.
Also have other issues to resolve likely during actual build.
All the best to you. Ta Ta
Thanks

I really like your (edspecialcars). I may adopt that, but for now it's actually (edspedalcars)
I get up usually around 5 am. I'm online here, usually that early, because the rest of the world is already into their day.
When I'm at the end of my day, everyone else is usually asleep, or getting ready for their night.

this is an interesting idea and if I can't locate a reasonable price etc. for 3 fat tires n rims I may decide to go this route Join two rims together for my RECON LIZARD