Brooders and crooners........

Banglen, Thailand and a little bit Reading, UK
....spotted this whilst out cycling this morning:

These are Red Wattled Lapwing eggs, the 'nest' being a dried out old cowpat! The only other one I saw some time back was just a scrape in the ground, so maybe this one is more des-res. Can identify most birds in the area now - just adds a bit of fun to the rides I guess.

And so to the crooner - ran into this chap the other day, said his name was Elvis:

Now he may have been spinning me a yarn, but he told me he'd done a concert on the moon recently:

Said it wasn't much of a venue though - no atmosphere...........

Frank

Well the birds eggs are good and you did well to spot them ?

However on this Elvis thing ?

a) it can't be him he works in our chippie !
b) I was going to say you need to get out more .........however I see you are out ? stay in more ???

regards Paul

Nice Picture of Red Wattled Lapwing eggs, but would be nice to see a picture when a Red Wattled Lapwing has grown. Not a known bird here in England.

....the Lapwing is part of the Plover family, which may be familiar to some. Usually when I'm cycling along and anywhere near their nests, they get all frantic - diving and calling in a berserk manner. The nest I spotted was easy because a parent bird was sat upon it as I approached, and it just casually walked off as soon as I stopped to have a closer look. Today, both parents were there, and neither was doing the usual panic display - maybe they've gotten used to me as I cycle past most days - who knows.

Will be off to Blighty this Weds for a few weeks, and always enjoy seeing the Red Kites, which have made an amazing comeback after near extinction in southern England. Whilst staying at my mum's house, we often leave out things like a chicken carcass on a bird table, and await the Kites swooping down to grab a piece. They have to be quick though, gulls soon spot whats going on and before you know it there's a feeding frenzy - much more entertaining than anything on the TV!

....the Lapwing is part of the Plover family, which may be familiar to some. Usually when I'm cycling along and anywhere near their nests, they get all frantic - diving and calling in a berserk manner. The nest I spotted was easy because a parent bird was sat upon it as I approached, and it just casually walked off as soon as I stopped to have a closer look. Today, both parents were there, and neither was doing the usual panic display - maybe they've gotten used to me as I cycle past most days - who knows.

Will be off to Blighty this Weds for a few weeks, and always enjoy seeing the Red Kites, which have made an amazing comeback after near extinction in southern England. Whilst staying at my mum's house, we often leave out things like a chicken carcass on a bird table, and await the Kites swooping down to grab a piece. They have to be quick though, gulls soon spot whats going on and before you know it there's a feeding frenzy - much more entertaining than anything on the TV!
Morning FrankCrank
My Residence is in Dover downtown, but my employment is in Folkestone. Both cities in Southern England as you likely know. My Cleaning is done in split-shift so I on the bus twice each way. Hope the weather is pleasant for you whilst you visit MUM. Easter coming up at end of April.

....arrived here all in one piece yesterday evening, and indeed off to a good start with the weather. First time in 15 years I've been back here on 'winter' time - clocks changing this weekend I believe. Think the forecast is good right through the next week or so, must try and make the most of it. Will get down the shed soon and pump up the tyres on the old MTB, off for a spin along the Kennet towpath......

....arrived here all in one piece yesterday evening, and indeed off to a good start with the weather. First time in 15 years I've been back here on 'winter' time - clocks changing this weekend I believe. Think the forecast is good right through the next week or so, must try and make the most of it. Will get down the shed soon and pump up the tyres on the old MTB, off for a spin along the Kennet towpath......
Well FrankCrank if you do the whole route to Bath that will be a week of sights as the map shows. I have had a look in the net. Not been in the area to see for myself.
Wish you a good visit with MUM. Some Pictures might be nice to share with the other Zombie members.