Best type for travel

Hello, my name is Manuel and I am newbee. Also I don't speak english very well.

I can't find a thread about which is the best configuration for long travel: delta, tadpole, or any other.

Please, could you tell me if there is a thread about that subject?

Best regards.
Manu

Hi Manuel, welcome.

Being a newbee ain't a shamefull something, everybody was one once. Languages are also not a big issue, google translate* works good enough to get the idea across.

On long range travel. It's being discussed in several threads, but with the search function you will search a long time to wade trough all the threads.

I know what I would prefer.
Tadpool , full suspension (no plans here for that if I'm right) but a Streetfox with fat tyres comes close. A trailer/caravan for cargo capacity.
E-assist would be very comfy, but if not available, a low speed gearing will get you everywere slowly.

*Traductor de Google en el trabajo

Thank you for your response.
Would a QuadCycle fit the task? What would be the pros and cons of delta, tadpole, quadcycle in that use?

Thank you
Manu

I hope others will contradict me, preferably strongly and with good arguments.

A quad has the main advantage of spreading large/heavy loads over more axles/wheels.

A quad will only have a full spread of load on even ground.
On oneven ground, the best you can achieve is 3 wheel contact. And if you have a 1 wheel drive, the driven wheel can be up in the air.
Suspension changes that, within the limits of the suspension.

Other disadvantage of a quad is the more complex nature and higher weight of the build. It's a tadpool and delta in 1.

Delta's are a tad easier to build (no Ackerman steering) but are less suited to high speeds, especialy the short wheel base versions. Tadpools are a bit more involved to build, but for me, they are better suited to my wishes.

You don't say where you are so I can't tell how flat your area is. That will be important as weight will be a killer in a hilly area. For long rides I'd suggest a comfy seat is the single most important item and the std Atomic Zombie seat probably won't cut it. Either a fibreglass moulded or a fabric stretched on a frame type will be better. I'd leave the quad out of the reckoning unless hauling a lot of cargo or pulling a heavy trailer to keep the weight down. If you go 3 wheels and want to carry cargo then a delta is better. If you prefer to push it around corners then a tadpole. A delta is easier to suspend at both ends than a tadpole is. The tadpole can be done - it's just harder.

Thanks, the idea is travel over different countries and with electric aid.

Is there a table with weights of the different types of builds?

Best regards
Manu

Hello, when I try to print any tutorial, there are no pics, any idea?

Best regards

I hope others will contradict me, preferably strongly and with good arguments.

A quad has the main advantage of spreading large/heavy loads over more axles/wheels.

A quad will only have a full spread of load on even ground.
On oneven ground, the best you can achieve is 3 wheel contact. And if you have a 1 wheel drive, the driven wheel can be up in the air.
Suspension changes that, within the limits of the suspension.

Other disadvantage of a quad is the more complex nature and higher weight of the build. It's a tadpool and delta in 1.

Delta's are a tad easier to build (no Ackerman steering) but are less suited to high speeds, especialy the short wheel base versions. Tadpools are a bit more involved to build, but for me, they are better suited to my wishes.
From the plans, which is best suited, deltawolf, aurora, timberwolf...? I like deltas
I don't know how to balance low profile, cargo, big/small wheels with the intendeed use (long range travel)

From the plans, which is best suited, deltawolf, aurora, timberwolf...? I like deltas
Hard to say , some have more cargo space however they come at a price either longer/wider or both
I don't know how to balance low profile, cargo, big/small wheels with the intendeed use (long range travel)
I have been on 2 week 400/500 mile tours on 20" wheels , with the right tyres they are fine.

If you mean low to the ground then that has it's own problems:-
harder to get up/down from [ especially as you get older]
less visible in traffic
very wet/dirty close to the tarmac

I have moved for a 20cm seat height to a 40cm seat height to avoid the above problems.

Just my thoughts others may have different ideas.

Paul

Hard to say , some have more cargo space however they come at a price either longer/wider or both

I have been on 2 week 400/500 mile tours on 20" wheels , with the right tyres they are fine.

If you mean low to the ground then that has it's own problems:-
harder to get up/down from [ especially as you get older]
less visible in traffic
very wet/dirty close to the tarmac

I have moved for a 20cm seat height to a 40cm seat height to avoid the above problems.

Just my thoughts others may have different ideas.

Paul
Thank you for your answers.
By the way, I am looking at your python trikes. What are the advantages of that desing? does it ride easy turning the front whel with your ft attached?

Best regards
Manu

Hello Manuel, I'm just starting out on finding a general purpose trike as a basis. But, I intend developing my outlook to include some exotic stuff with carbon fibre eventually.
Recommended read for newbies :-
https://floridabiking.wordpress.com/hell-bent-cycle-works-the-recumbent-trike-design-primer/
https://trike.world/reverse-or-delta-trike-which-is-better/
My starter is the Warrior Racing Trike, but with modifications to make it stronger and safer for me.
This will be just a starting place though until I find what works and what dimensions suit myself, peddle wise, seating wise and gearing wise.
I hope to use it for off road but not rough terrain, cycle routes mainly.
I have an alter ego that wants to do some, 2 wheel FWD low racer stuff, but we won't mention that here for the moment!
Hope the links help.
Martin.

Hello Manuel, I'm just starting out on finding a general purpose trike as a basis. But, I intend developing my outlook to include some exotic stuff with carbon fibre eventually.
Recommended read for newbies :-
https://floridabiking.wordpress.com/hell-bent-cycle-works-the-recumbent-trike-design-primer/
https://trike.world/reverse-or-delta-trike-which-is-better/
My starter is the Warrior Racing Trike, but with modifications to make it stronger and safer for me.
This will be just a starting place though until I find what works and what dimensions suit myself, peddle wise, seating wise and gearing wise.
I hope to use it for off road but not rough terrain, cycle routes mainly.
I have an alter ego that wants to do some, 2 wheel FWD low racer stuff, but we won't mention that here for the moment!
Hope the links help.
Martin.
Thank you for the info.

Best regards
Manu

By the way, I am looking at your python trikes. What are the advantages of that desing? does it ride easy turning the front whel with your ft attached?

Best regards Manu
I originally owned a very old Hase Kett probably the largest selling and most famous delta trike in the world.

It proved a very capable trike with in my view some shortcomings due to my circumstances and it's age.

It was to long to easily fit in my car
As an early one it was only an 8 speed
unlike the one pictured it just had a straight lower chain run to rear cassette so flapped about a lot
The rear derailleur was very vulnerable to being struck by lumpy ground.

The Python looked to answer most of those issues my first was 15 speed with a very short chain
No bits hanging down to bash
Very short the wheel base was 0.91 metre ! so fit easily in the car.

Pedal steering is great and allowed me to ride hands free to text, take pictures , eat food read maps etc etc etc.
The first Python became longer to carry my camping gear w/b now 101 cm.

Then I started a series of Pythons [ 1 - 6 ] to try and get them to tilt.
No 6 works and has been to Holland towing a trailer , it is long enough for my camping gear once I build the rear fairing for it.
This years project before winter comes I hope.

It is not possible to judge what will work for you , are circumstances are all different as our driving conditions are.
Camping is tricky also as some can get away with a tent and 4 panniers [ a standard bike load ] and some can't fit their stuff in such a small volume.

If any one tells you there are loads of problems with deltas i.e cornering or FWD with traction ask them which delta they own and how far they have ridden it ! Most are armchair theorists with 0 real world experience.

My posts are backed up with hundreds of miles a year ridden on my Pythons for almost 10 years !

Paul

I originally owned a very old Hase Kett probably the largest selling and most famous delta trike in the world.

It proved a very capable trike with in my view some shortcomings due to my circumstances and it's age.

It was to long to easily fit in my car
As an early one it was only an 8 speed
unlike the one pictured it just had a straight lower chain run to rear cassette so flapped about a lot
The rear derailleur was very vulnerable to being struck by lumpy ground.

The Python looked to answer most of those issues my first was 15 speed with a very short chain
No bits hanging down to bash
Very short the wheel base was 0.91 metre ! so fit easily in the car.

Pedal steering is great and allowed me to ride hands free to text, take pictures , eat food read maps etc etc etc.
The first Python became longer to carry my camping gear w/b now 101 cm.

Then I started a series of Pythons [ 1 - 6 ] to try and get them to tilt.
No 6 works and has been to Holland towing a trailer , it is long enough for my camping gear once I build the rear fairing for it.
This years project before winter comes I hope.

It is not possible to judge what will work for you , are circumstances are all different as our driving conditions are.
Camping is tricky also as some can get away with a tent and 4 panniers [ a standard bike load ] and some can't fit their stuff in such a small volume.

If any one tells you there are loads of problems with deltas i.e cornering or FWD with traction ask them which delta they own and how far they have ridden it ! Most are armchair theorists with 0 real world experience.

My posts are backed up with hundreds of miles a year ridden on my Pythons for almost 10 years !

Paul
Have you posted plans of your last design? Or if there is a thread where I can learn from your evolution.
I'm reading but my English is not good enough and there is much to read.

Thanks

Have you posted plans of your last design? Or if there is a thread where I can learn from your evolution.
I'm reading but my English is not good enough and there is much to read.
Thanks
No there are no plans.

There is a thread :- Python trikes

I would suggest you copy the yellow front and either the black or blue rear end first and leave the tilting one till you have some seat time on a Python trike.

These are for a 2 wheeler Python plans and easily turned into a trike

There are others I need to find them.

What do you mean by ' want to carry cargo ' ?
Big lumps of stuff of camping gear ?

Paul