AWD Quadcycle Idea/Theory

This is just a theory at the moment, but hear me out:

I have an idea for a chain driven AWD system. For my own simplicity, I will be using the freewheel limited slip setup in this theory.

Take two matching front cranks and weld them together so that the biggest gears are close to each other (assuming a multi speed) and a matching cassette-freewheel as the rear, but in the front and flipped so the gears are pointed in the other direction and put it's derailleur as close to upside down as possible, so that the front crank pulls the front drive chain from the bottom teeth, thus allowing the"front" cassette-freewheel to rotate the front axle in the same direction as the rear and allowing the front wheels to rotate due to the front freewheels (just like the rear) and allowing for a full time AWD with a 1:1 limited slip in all 4 corners.

A custom shifter that allows two cables (like a 2 cable brake lever), so both front and rear shift simultaneously as with the front crank.

Seems pretty logical to me; bottom teeth pull every gear in the front, top teeth pull every gear in the rear. This would allow a longer wheelbase like StreetFighter without having your feet in front.

Let me know what you think

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Seems this thread is relevant for the front half...

As you want 4wd, just put 4 hub motors on it. It is way easier.
Also, the way you want to do it, makes it even complicater to make, especially as you want to ad steering.
The drive train is the easy part, the steering is an other story.

Ran into this blog entry earlier.

Dude details building an AWD ebike with a hub and a mid drive.

Not sure if it's able to be adapted for a recumbent trike because motor layout, but here you go.

Ran into this blog entry earlier.

Dude details building an AWD ebike with a hub and a mid drive.

Not sure if it's able to be adapted for a recumbent trike because motor layout, but here you go.

There are some manufacturers that sell trikes with 3 motors. 2 in the front wheels and one in the rear wheel.
So it is possible.

Lol thanks for the feedback, but all of the other stuff is irrelevant. All I'm looking at with this idea is chain driven; no hub motors and keeping the crank between the front and rear wheels. Remember, this is just an idea/theory and that I'm not necessarily looking to implement this. I know StreetFighter couldn't with it's current layout, but adding a front suspension would help with the steering issue too. The tandem idea seems intriguing.
😁

Edit: to clarify, I like the general idea of what Brad posted

Last edited: