aurora delta

I was going over my Warrior with an eye to repainting it, checking the bearings etc. The front boom was bent a bit to the right and bent downwards a little from the weight of one the coro bodies. The main boom leading to the rear had a bit of a bend in from an incident a couple years ago as well. From the rear view it would have been what I call dog tracking. You see that on car's that have taken a hit, the rear wheels don't line up with the front. Anyway having made the fat enclosed delta I've discovered I really like that platform. I already have the 20" front wheels, and have now made the wheel disc's. Some part's from the Warrior will be reused such as one of the pulley's, possibly the mesh seat and the handlebars. brakes etc. This building seem's to be addictive, especially in winter getting ready for a new riding season.

On some of Brads plans as an alternative to wheel building he says the hubs could sourced from a normal steel bike hub and the axles could be welded directly to the hub?

Also why do you want 26" wheels , it might be a better delta with 20" wheels on the back so cutting down the wheel arm interference ?

You may have misread stormbird. The delta is going to have all 3 wheel's 20 inch. Also the plan,s call for 4 metal disc's with the spoke hole's marked and drilled and then welded to the 1 foot and the 2 foot steel axles held to the rear sub frame with 4 pillow block bearings. Since I already have 2 36 hole twenty inch front rims all that's needed is to follow the plan's by using the spokes and lacing the rim to the homemade wheel disc's. I will hang onto the hubs currently on the front of the Warrior in case a tadpole trike is ever to be built but it prob won't be by me. So to recap I already have the steel and most of the parts to build an front motor electric assist Aurora trike. It will have Avid BB7 disc brakes, Tongsheng torque sensing motor and 20" wheels all around.

Right you are sir. Upon looking at the DIY plan's more and more I determined the Aurora might be a better fit for me and would allow the use of part's I have. Having said that I did order 2 freewheel adapters and 2 disc brake adapters plus I actually have enough parts to make one with 26' rear wheels at some point in the future. One at a time though, my little garage is getting kinda full.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Well a little progress to report. The rear sub frame that the pillow block bearings are bolted to is now finished. And I have made one wheel disc by hand and it turned out surprisingly well.. So over the next few days the other 3 will get made as well. I did go to a local machine shop with a properly sized template and asked one of the employees if they could make them, he got got back to me an hour later and said sure $5 each, so I asked for 8 to be made.That was 1 week ago and never heard back from them. I did phone on the 4th day to check, got put on hold for 20 minutes after which I just hung up. So they will be handmade but if they do call I will pay for them, not holding my breath though. A little order like that is prob not high on their list. This will be the 4th Atomic Zombie build and each time I get a bit more patient and try to do a nicer job.

So now I have handmade 4 wheel discs. The hub's being used as templates for my delta have a 2 5/8" circle. A plywood stand was just made so 2 of the pillow blocks could be mounted and the 2 axles could have the wheel disc's welded per the plan's. I decided to phone the machine shop before welding the homemade disc's and Lo and Behold they had my order done. I must say they did do a nice job and with tax it was $42 for 8. So off to a friend's place tomorrow to weld them - he has a better welder and is a better welder as well. And now there are 4 spares for the next project, 8 if I count my homemade ones. So, weld, prime, paint then on to my 1st wheel lacing attempt, I can hardly wait.

Here's a picture of the wheel disc's, one is from the machine shop, one was handmade.

Here is a picture of the 2 axle's, they are now painted and will be drying for a couple days before being laced up. Sitting beside them is a freewheel adapter and a disc brake adapter that will be used on the axles's. They were made by Staton ind in the U.S.

Thanks for the kind word's. I decided to take the axles to my LBS to get the rims laced to the hubs, should be ready in a day or 2. Meanwhile the suspension donor bike was stripped down and cleaned up so once the wheels come home the next part can be worked on.

Well I've got the rear wheels mounted to the frame also the shock is mounted. The front forks are next, just need to cut the front frame tube and weld the head tube into it. Tape measure confirms everything is nice and straight so far, from right and left rear sub frame to the farthest front a difference of 1/16", good enough for me. Once I've got a rolling chassis the steering, seat etc will be added.

Nice looking frame ...

However that looks like a heater in the corner of the garage ? now that's plain cheating ;) real men have to cut & grind outside what ever the weather !

Too cold here for this man to cut and grind outside. Plus any snow that falls in say Nov or Dec stays till Mar or Apr. The woodstove you see is usually only pressed into service if the temps fall below minus 25C for more than a couple days. Main heat is provided by 2 1500 btu electric heaters that run 24 hrs 7 days a week till spring. That way no frosty tools and extreme cold doesnt warp the tracks on my HO scale model rail road.

Too cold here for this man to cut and grind outside. Plus any snow that falls in say Nov or Dec stays till Mar or Apr. The woodstove you see is usually only pressed into service if the temps fall below minus 25C for more than a couple days. Main heat is provided by 2 1500 btu electric heaters that run 24 hrs 7 days a week till spring. That way no frosty tools and extreme cold doesnt warp the tracks on my HO scale model rail road.
Hugh

I bow my head in shame ......

I think -1c is cold :whistle:

No worries, it's usually a dry cold. And big plus no bugs at least till spring anyway. I can only imagine an often damp 1-minus temp.

Here are a couple pictures from today Mar 2 2020. The first shows progress on the Delta, the 2nd is a shot from the garage door showing the current snow conditions in my back yard and the 3rd is a shot from last year showing my favorite single track trail for winter riding in a nearby park. I was out there yesterday and the trail conditions are the same as last year.

Slow steady progress. The mounts for the seat have been built so the seat is now bolted in. This allowed me to test mount the Tongshen 48V motor so the bottom bracket could be located in the right spot. That brought up a need to alter the steering linkage. Turns out the linkage needs to have a bend in it to go over the motor, nothing major. The straight line it now has needs to be clearanced by about 2" to go up and over. I'll take care of that this weekend and get a picture as well.