Anyone own one of these ?

Hi there

Thinking of buying one of these :- Grinder stand

I have seen some criticism of them from people who only have 1 grinder and it needs some setting up each time when grinder fitted - not bothered would leave 1 in full time.

Clamping of work is poor & guide fence flimsy , but they can be improved ?

Some joker said waste of money , money better spent on a metal band saw ? odd a sub £20 stand can't compete with >£350 bandsaw ?

I do have a metal cutting compound saw however blade takes big chips out of steel and can't handle the small pieces we need ?

I thought this may improve my accuracy and make some of the cuts safer if the saw is fastened to the guide rather than being used free hand ?

Hi there

Thinking of buying one of these :- Grinder stand

I have seen some criticism of them from people who only have 1 grinder and it needs some setting up each time when grinder fitted - not bothered would leave 1 in full time.

Clamping of work is poor & guide fence flimsy , but they can be improved ?

Some joker said waste of money , money better spent on a metal band saw ? odd a sub £20 stand can't compete with >£350 bandsaw ?

I do have a metal cutting compound saw however blade takes big chips out of steel and can't handle the small pieces we need ?

I thought this may improve my accuracy and make some of the cuts safer if the saw is fastened to the guide rather than being used free hand ?
Yup, I've got one. I initially set it up with a spare grinder. But I used it very little. If you have a 'spare' grinder that may not get used much then I think it's worth it.

If you have a recurring need for that kind of setup, or are needing to cut off a large number of items, then maybe.

Is it the best grinder stand? No, but for DIY, maybe so. Yes the guide and fence are a little flimsy, but I also worked around that.
It worked OK for my needs, but it now just sits, because I no longer have a spare grinder to dedicate to just it.

As far as cutting small diameter items, the trouble with setting up the stand (for me), wasn't worth the time.
I could zip off a small piece in a tenth of the time, free hand.
If exact square cuts are needed, and you aren't sure about getting them square free hand, then this may be a choice.

Would I buy it again? No

That's my story, so this opinion is 'grinding' to a halt. :)
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I replaced mine with a proper chop-saw/grinder because it was truly awful, imprecise and just wobbly flop-about rubbish.
The thing you are looking at is £16.99 the real thing (when they have them in Lidl) is only £23 more and does the job properly.

Last edited:
I have one of these:-

A 12" chopsaw in 110V. Paid £40 for it secondhand from a car boot. It's absolutely excellent and I would very much recommend one. It makes a cut in a fraction of the time of even a 9" grinder.

Don't get me wrong on spending money , I bought a new one of these !

However it is no good for cutting small pieces from small pieces , there is no way of safely clamping pieces under 12" and say cutting a 4" piece from it especially at an angle.

I am looking for something that will allow me to wield a 1mm cutting disc with greater accuracy than free hand ?

Don't get me wrong on spending money , I bought a new one of these !

However it is no good for cutting small pieces from small pieces , there is no way of safely clamping pieces under 12" and say cutting a 4" piece from it especially at an angle.

I am looking for something that will allow me to wield a 1mm cutting disc with greater accuracy than free hand ?
Oh! I envy you. I've read really good things about the Evolution.

When I bought my mini grinder stand, it cost me about $25 USD.
So it wasn't so much that I was afraid of taking a chance.

This is the one I bought.

If you should decide to have a go. Realize that your depth of cut is limited.
Don't be fooled by the cutting example, in the video.

I had to turn 'some' of my work pieces, to manage cutting all the way through.

Also, there are numerous video's for making your own.
Might be worth the time, and at least interesting to watch.

Example: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US751&q=mini+grinder+stand&tbm=isch&chips=q:angle+grinder+holder,g_1:diy:pQxV_HUhX8w=&usg=AI4_-kQ0e9qXgOfpSooGKy3bWqXHfclfjQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjvwe3ktO3nAhUNip4KHW2oC1cQgIoDKAF6BAgIEAY&biw=1120&bih=605

Last edited:
Ok what you are saying is buy one with a motor in it ?

So what about this one :- Makita 110 v

So what is the width of the cut ?

Where do I get 110v ?

Is there a "rush" for a chop-saw?
Lidl will sell their excellent little chop saw again soon enough and it was £39.99 with warranty and 240V as standard so no messing.
If you really want to grab a 120V one I have a huge toroidal step-down 240->120V transformer you can steal from me.

Usual width of cut is 2mm I believe, and I am only on my second disc out of a pack of 5. They really are good to have.
I agree with your assessment of the Rage saw. Mine is brilliant for my woodworking projects.

Last edited:
Is there a "rush" for a chop-saw?
Lidl will sell their excellent little chop saw again soon enough and it was £39.99 with warranty and 240V as standard so no messing.
Not if I am to buy the Lidl one , then I will wait.

If you really want to grab a 120V one I have a huge toroidal step-down 240->120V transformer you can steal from me.
Thanks for the offer , however ' huge ' is out !!!

Usual width of cut is 2mm I believe, and I am only on my second disc out of a pack of 5. They really are good to have.
2mm is livable with , I think the Rage is probably 4mm or more

I agree with your assessment of the Rage saw. Mine is brilliant for my woodworking projects.
Mine mainly chops firewood these days , however saying that it is quick and I feel safer than the bench saw I did use.

Ok what you are saying is buy one with a motor in it ?

So what about this one :- Makita 110 v

So what is the width of the cut ?

Where do I get 110v ?
No, No, No, I think you got the incorrect vibe. It doesn't come with the grinder, just the stand.
Not suggesting you buy this one. Just using this as an example for you.
Maybe there is such a thing in your neck of the woods, that will be just as good, if not better.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200711894_200711894

Buying the Makita....doesn't that defeat the reason for getting a smaller one.

I put a metal cutting blade on my miter saw. Had to buy a speed control, to slow it down.
Worked OK, but again, I found it was more work to set it up for that 'quick cut', than just a quick free hand cut.
Your shop set up may be better suited, for a permanent set up, than mine is.

Last edited:
No, No, No, I think you got the incorrect vibe. It doesn't come with the grinder, just the stand.
Not suggesting you buy this one. Just using this as an example for you.
Maybe there is such a thing in your neck of the woods, that will be just as good, if not better.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200711894_200711894

Buying the Makita....doesn't that defeat the reason for getting a smaller one.
Sorry Ed that wasn't aimed at you ! honest.

Most other suggestions showed one's with motors.

I think what is not apparent from the pictures is size of these items ?

The Rage I pictured is almost 1 yd long in one direction and completely fills my BD workmate top !

The other stuff pictured will probably fill 1/3 - 1/2 of it ?

Sorry Ed that wasn't aimed at you ! honest.

Most other suggestions showed one's with motors.

I think what is not apparent from the pictures is size of these items ?

The Rage I pictured is almost 1 yd long in one direction and completely fills my BD workmate top !

The other stuff pictured will probably fill 1/3 - 1/2 of it ?
If you lived closer you could have mine. Too expensive to ship to where you are.

Good for repetition cuts on small diameter tubes, for one-off projects not much use. Haven't used mine in a long while.
I agree it is a seldom used device, but for cutting tube accurately and squarely at a variety of angles it is a godsend.
I found that my Square-tube frame was so much easier to get as a close and very accurate fit using the chop-saw.
No chance of a slip causing a blade to shatter, and everything clamped tight for cutting. What's not to like? :p

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
I have an abrasive blade type cut off machine with an integral motor. It is heavy and awkward to lift down from the shelf where it lives, takes up a lot of space in use, and is seldom used, like Danny's. If I used it more I would have more accurate cuts and a better job.

Much easier to have it mounted in a fixed workshop position but that requires having easy and always reliable access and support for what you are cutting up - read otherwise wasted workspace. Alternatively, a mobile workbench for outside might work.

I have an abrasive blade type cut off machine with an integral motor. It is heavy and awkward to lift down from the shelf where it lives, takes up a lot of space in use, and is seldom used, like Danny's. If I used it more I would have more accurate cuts and a better job.

Much easier to have it mounted in a fixed workshop position but that requires having easy and always reliable access and support for what you are cutting up - read otherwise wasted workspace. Alternatively, a mobile workbench for outside might work.
I do most of my cutting on the floor. The grinder/cutter lives on the floor, problem solved. :D

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
I do most of my cutting on the floor. The grinder/cutter lives on the floor, problem solved. :D
Most of my work is on the floor as well - if I don't think about it first. Great for the waist line but not so great for blood pressure variations when you are getting up. Passed out from getting up from a crouched position, fell into a wheelbarrow leaning up against a wall and ended up with a hell of a pain in my right forearm. Felt that I must have broken it. Hadn't but there was an imprint of 50mm offcut from a 20mm square tube that could be seen for weeks.

I try to do things comfortably these days - and my floor space is rather limited.