Any Rail Bike Builders?

rtm904

Hello, all! I'm new to the site and curious if there are any members with experience building a rail bike. I plan to modify/merge AZ plans to come up with a quad that can do both rail and road. Randall

Sorry, no spare, unused, rail lines around here. I live 1km from a closed one but it was converted into a rail trail. However, I did spend three years (1966 to 1969} of a 25 year railway career riding up and down a track on a three-wheel track inspection motor. It had a single cylinder 2-stroke Villiers motor, 3-speed gearbox and chain drive to the rear wheel.

ziqQfAA.jpg

The only image I can find - anywhere - of a Victorian Railways MT Track Inspection Motor. Me, at 21 years of age in 1969 at Kotta, Victoria.

Kevin - That's an awesome photo! There's a guy in Colorado making polyurethane flanged rail wheels for quads (railriders.net), but it would run $880 for a set of four. I'm hoping to modify one of AZ's plans to make a smaller, lighter quad frame with some sort of drop-down wheeled guide to keep the bike on the tracks...something like a wide skateboard wheel on a swing arm that locks in place. Randall

Should be an interesting build. The trike in my picture had an outrigger with a diagonal brace to the opposite rail. The outrigger wheel was smaller. I seem to recall that the main rear wheel had a small bevel lip on the outside to prevent it slipping off the inside of the rail. Happened to me once, won't explain what I was doing, when I wasn't expecting it. I rode it down a 5m embankment.

Railriding with your own railrunner in Belgium... If you don't get flattened by a train, you'll get flattened by the fine.
Even unused railroads ( we have a few), are "dangerous".

Not to cast aspersions on your venerableness but that picture looks more 1869 than 1969.
I can assure you that it is 1969 and, if you look real closely at the shed in the centre you will see the rear end of a 1969 Datsun 1000, 4-door. It;s a scan of a Polaroid (remember them?) photograph that apparently proved appetising to some silverfish or similar. I'm sorry to say that it was taken 51 years ago and it lay in a drawer for most of those years.

Back