Another stupid question

On tadpole trikes etc. seems like a lot of the work is getting the two front wheels mounted with steering etc. so dumb question why not just put them on a solid axle and pivot the whole axle in the center to steer? I could see why not on a car weighing a few thousand pounds but a pedal driven trike has a lot less stress on it. Am I missing something?

if you had a solid axle you could not negotiate a curve very well or the trike would tip over.
Steering as per the plans is easy to build. one days work.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
What you are describing is called "tiller steering", or rightfully, "killer tiller"!
You will only see real examples of this in two places; kid's 2x4 go carts, and ancient horse drawn carriages.

Every possible thing is wrong with tiller steering, from bump steer to center of gravity shifting.
Imagine hitting a curb with such a beast! You would sheer off your leg as the scissor like assembly folded on you!

It is not a stupid question at all! The only stoopid question around here might go like this...

"What are the Caradshians doing today on TV"?

or

"Where can I buy a ready made custom bike or hot rod"?

Brad

build a delta ...

problem solved..

I'll get my coat ..

Good suggestion on a Delta but a Delta has it's own issues.
Yes easier to build but stay away from a solid axle in the rear unless you like to hobble some going around corners.
Then you must get the fork angle correct for the trike. Not a exact science. Built several and both do not handle the same.
Purchase a set of plans then start having fun building your one of a kind creation.

Twinkle

Super Moderator
Weren’t the Cardashians on Star Trek?

Just asking to learn why some things are done or not done
Strange question to ask on a trike builders forum ,
I heard they emigrated and were last seen hitching a ride on the rear of a sheep in Wales ( but that is another story )

but

If you want to fit a solid rear axle , I did on the quadem ( quad tandem ) project but I fitted a 20mm free hub ( with disc rotor ) at one end of the 20mm shaft I used with 20mm HD pillow blocks . This project used only 2 supporting heavy duty pillow blocks and worked well with us two lightweights ( conbined weight 330 lbs ) pedaling along .

You can also get 15mm free hubs if you don't have a gravity inducing problem .

For the reason you don't drive both wheels on a fixed axle I suggest you google "differential "

reagards emma

I understand differentials on a rear axle I was asking about a front swing axle. Not that I was thinking of doing but why it isn’t used, etc.

Twinkle

Super Moderator
On tadpole trikes etc. seems like a lot of the work is getting the two front wheels mounted with steering etc. so dumb question why not just put them on a solid axle and pivot the whole axle in the center to steer? I could see why not on a car weighing a few thousand pounds but a pedal driven trike has a lot less stress on it. Am I missing something
?
It's all a question of balance or rather stability.The pivot point would also have some odd forces acting as side and twisting forces that would make steering very hard .

Building the front end of a tadpole can be done by jigging it on the bench and welding it all together before mounting it on the main boom.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
I finally found an actual example of killer tiller to demonstrate...

This is a nicely done kid's cart that is steered by feet on the tiller bar and by holding the rope.
For a simple and ufun kid's gocart, no problem, but never do this kind of thing on any vehicle made for speed or street use.

Just imagine what a slight kissing of the curb would do to you at 30 miles per hour!
I can imagine a scenario that involves a front flip, lost toes, and then a trip under a bus.
.... of course, you should be THAT paranoid anytime there is bus behind you on a bent.

Brad

You could also google Ackerman angles. You don't get Ackerman angles on a tiller steered cart. Both front wheels point the same way in any turn despite the inner wheel tracing a smaller circle.