Announcing very last minute Zombie meeting in the UK

Hi all

Announcing a very small very last minute Zombie meeting , possibly only 2 ! however all are welcome.
St Ives , Cambridgeshire Tue , Wed & Thur yes we might get wet , yes it might be cold however memories are not made by sitting indoors wishing you could do something !

Camping @ Water Close Meadows Campsite , Houghton Mill , Mill St , Houghton ,PE28 2A

Paul

Maddox

I only floated the idea Tuesday morning we both had to get spousal approval and we were only go on Thursday morning.

I really need to get away for a bit .....

Paul

Maddox

next year the plan is for Breda , already working towards that :giggle:

either build a better Python or learn to ride a Flevotrike !

Paul

Pegasus

Meeting @ 10:00 Tuesday morning , not set in stone.
Into St Ives for coffee and cake or breakfast ~#?
If you were to come later [ as you are further away ] then we will do the above and just wait your arrival.
Weather assessment and a consensus as to how far to ride and where to go - nothing is set in stone
Don't expect many miles we may only do 10 each day , if that is what takes our fancy , whilst I am ' the racing snake ' it is more about the company/chat & banter.

St Ives is one end of a guided busway to Cambridge which has a cycleway alongside it.
There are park & ride sites along the way , we will start at the St Ives one.[ they were free last time we used them ] and the one we meet at has toilets.
Along the busway are villages with cafes/pubs on the Cambridge outskirts there is a park with a cafe then we can go down to the river and cycle into Cambridge itself [ if Dan is up to it , he currently has medical issues ] .
The camp site is a short walk/ride to centre of St Ives which has a Wetherspoons open @ 8:00 am so no need for any cooking on site at all (y)
There is a small amount of road riding , should not be busy , we are taking lights to be seen should we be late back from somewhere ?

No problem if you want to go off and explore yourself , I have some maps you can take and it is hard to get lost ! doubt even DannyC could do that ......[ well maybe I am exaggerating :whistle: ]

Houghton Mill the camp site is where it say National Trust Houghton Mill very nice site if you are taking the family.

I am off grid Sunday 10:30 till about 16:00 otherwise any questions please ask , do you still have my mobile number ?

Paul

I suppose to work next week, it depends on my work load if I can take time off.
If I join you, I will arrive around 3-4 PM Tuesday.
I have your mobile number. I phone or text Tuesday morning if I can join you.

Pegasus

That sounds great , a txt maybe better I will be driving myself from about 7:30 am till 10:00 am , although there is a planned breakfast stop at 8:30 am the second of the day :whistle:

Paul

Ok been , ridden , eaten and seen.

It was unbelievably wet Tuesday and watched the rain from cafe's and a pub :D we did not get the tents up till about 17:00

Wednesday we did a ride of approximately 34 miles however not as far as I had hoped and not without problems , still that's why we did the ride.

Find a few pictures and add them later

Paul

Yes, the rain on Tuesday was of "Biblical Proportions" and we were sadly forced to spend a few hours in an ale-house drinking beer and eating food until the rain abated (this was more than mortal man can really bear, and you should all feel very sorry for our plight - of course). ;)

There were no mechanical failures of any of our equipment just a rider performance issue (that was me, not Paul...I hasten to add). :(

Without going into boring and unnecessary detail I am having some issues in getting my neural-network to command my legs to work hard enough to do things justice and this was compounded by a "knee-failure" yesterday afternoon.
When Paul tried my trike he had no real issues in making it move along ok (despite it being 5" or more too short in the leg-length for his comfort).
Paul was "patience personified" and very kind in shepherding me along.
We live to fight another day. :D

This was the campsite about 1 hour after the rain finished [ it had rained for about 5 hours at this point ] remarkably dry and puddle/swamp free ?

The Silver shed in the distance was the National Trust's joke that I had paid £17 for an extra car and that was as close as they allowed it to the tent pitch ? lets hope we get a ' Satisfaction ' questionnaire (n):whistle:

On the way out after a 2nd breakfast and seconds before we found a ' unknown waffle house ' just in time for tea and cake me thinks , have a guess which boring f*rt had a Ham and Cheese sandwich ?

Billy no mates at the final destination of the ride , not surprising with those sock suspenders !

Bit like cycling with P J Gumby :-

We could have cycled further into Cambridge itself however the ride is completely ' linear ' and so no opportunities for a short cut back.

This is typical nice and wide however the cycle path does not exactly follow the guide busway [ 2 lanes seen in the top left ] and those inclines were proving difficult for Dan.

of course if someone is trailing then when they catch you up the tendency is to set off immediately and doing so gives them no rest at all , so I did try and be off the trike and looking at the scenery to curb the urge.

Whilst the ride proved a few things , they were not the results we were after and so a rethink is required.

Paul

Last edited: