Andre's StreetFox builds

Hello Everyone,

I will detail here my StreetFox builds, yes with an S. I want to build one for my wife and one for myself.

But first, I need to collect some parts, which I'm working on.

First question if I may. The SF requires two BMX 20inch wheels. Must they both be BMX front wheels? Can I use the BMX rear wheel and remove the drive spoke and use it as a front wheel for the SF?

Second question, is it possible to install disk brakes on the SF BMX front wheels?

Last question, since I'm new to the forum, I want to know what is the custom regarding build threads. When I do guitar build thread, I provide a lot of details with a lot of pictures. It's my way of giving back to others what I learn from others. It also acts as a personal journal I can refer to in the future. Just want to make sure this is an acceptable practice here on AZ.

Word of advise, be patient, I'm a slow builder. I do not see a finished trike before next summer.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Greets!

Yes, you can just remove the freehub on a rear wheel and use it on the front.
Some hubs are exactly the same (front and rear), and just have threads cut in the hub shell.
This saves $$$ for the manufacturer.

If you go to a 36 spoke wheel, you can then use 20mm hollow axle hubs with a disc brake.
This is how the Warrior has disc brakes. Many builders have mixed StreetFox with Warrior.

This forum loves photos, post away!

Random pics and works in progress are posted here as links, but I did create a gallery that you can upload directly to.
I try to keep the local gallery to finished bikes though, as server space does explode easily.

Cheers,
Brad

If you intend to rehub them then yes - the rims will be identical. If you intend to simply use them as is then more often than not I find the front is slightly different to the rear. As Brad says sometimes they are identical but in my experience they usually have slight differences in the hub. Using them as is will require buying a 14mm axle BMX as the standard 3/8 will not survive. It's because I find most fronts and rears to have those slight differences I usually buy two new fronts with a 14mm axle. It's as cheap as buying new hubs or saves a fair bit of time making new hubs or trying to find two identical cheap BMXs with 14mm axles.

If you want to go disc then that's where it gets hard as 20" wheels with 14mm axles and disc compatible hubs are like unicorn poo. They do exist but are exceedingly rare. Again as Brad says it'd be more likely you'd need to lace in a 20mm axle hub with the disc mount.

Twinkle

Super Moderator
I have rebuilt bmx 36h wheels using quando mtb disc hubs and replaced the spindles with 14mm and smaller balls . The hubs we used had the larger centres and they are still working well . Only 2 ? we have built about 15 over the last 6 years.

Regards Emma

Thank you all for your replies, I appreciate your support.

I have so much reading to do. I have 6 plans to go through. I'm sure it will help wrap my head around this new rabbit hole I'm jumping into.

I did not plan to weld myself until now. I found a local cooperative workshop where they have ARC, MIG and TIG welders and classes. So I guess I'll weld myself after all.

I'll keep you all posted.

Last night was the big trash in my neighbourhood. I jumped in the car and went around the streets. I saw nothing for about an hour. Then under a mattress was hidden three bikes.

Two of them have the rear suspension required to build the StreetFox.

The three bikes are in bad shape with a lot of rust and looks to be on the cheap side.

Here are some pictures, sorry for the bad pictures, my phone is dying.

IMAG1452

IMAG1451

IMAG1445

I was very happy that I found those, After that when ready to go home, I found this nice bike.

IMAG1441

This one is in good shape. Apart from air in the tires, I think it will work as is.

I will start cutting the first three one and fix the last one and ride it for a while.

Last edited:
quick question about welders. I only have a 120v 20amp circuit available. Can I build the streetfox with a small/cheap flux core welder?

if you mean by cheap, your referring to a harbor freight junk then yes but the welds may look like crap. Suggest a good welder like a Hobart or Miller. both have 110v welders. Look for a reconditioned unit could save a bunch.

MrIdaho, I've been checking the price of Hobart 140 in Canada and, wow, they are expensive. Twice as much as in the US. I will look into used ones. I'm still a couples of months away from welding, maybe I'll be lucky.

Going out for lunch, I scored this bike
IMG-20190722-132517
48 spokes 20inch BMX wheels
Be aware they are not true BMX wheels ? just wheels with lots of spokes !

For a Streefox the front wheels need to have axles at least 14mm ;)

Something like this :-BMX wheel 14mm axle the trick is to find them with disc brakes

Thank you Paul and Joey, you were both right. the axle is 3/8in. These won't be good for my purpose.

But it's going to be a good guinea pig to learn new skills.

Bought this set of metric wrench that will converted to cone wrench when needed. Paid 28$ for the set.

IMG-20190723-101034

This is the first to be thinned, but after a while I realized it was not the proper size. Started again with the 13mm

IMG-20190723-105701

Fits perfectly

IMG-20190723-113815

Removed and cleaned everything. The bearings are not good anymore as you can see here.

IMG-20190723-121246

All the parts cleaned up

IMG-20190723-121253

Cleaned the race

IMG-20190723-121628

I may have been abit too generous on the grease

IMG-20190723-122455-1

Back together, it's turning. I learned that you can tighten the lock nut too much.

IMG-20190723-123548

Learned a lot with this first wheel. I also will be able to reuse the tire that looks to be in good shape

IMG-20190723-121638

Will use this wheel to learn how to remove and reinstall the spoke later in my journey.

Thanks for watching.

SirJoey

Super Moderator
Bluesblooded, I've used that very same trick, "thinning down" a wrench!
Works like a charm! Best when you have a couple of old, odd ones to work with, as I did! :)

Joey, I have plenty of old SAE wrench, but have only a couple of metric ones. So a new set was still cheaper than buying individual cone wrench.

Emiel, Sorry you can't find these on the side of the road in your country.

Today was both real good and real bad. (No injuries)

I continued to take down the bike and clean it up.

IMG-20190724-100534

IMG-20190724-100612

Managed to put it back together and it was spinning well. So I was happy.

Then I proceeded outside to start the choping process. As you can see that went well too.

IMG-20190724-153827

Cleaned the head tube.

IMG-20190724-160840

I was happy that I was able to accomplish what I learned in Brad's tutorial. They've been incredibly helpful.

The real bad part is that, I'm living in town with really, really close neighbors. So grinding and making all that noise got me serious looks from many of my neighbors. Let's say that I did not make friends this afternoon.

Although I wished I could see this project to the end, until I have a proper shop, which, is unlikely because I already have a woodworking shop, I will not pursue this endeavor.

This was still a great learning opportunity and I'm grateful for it.

I will still keep an eye on your projects.

SirJoey

Super Moderator
I can relate to "close neighbors", believe me! I live in a stinkin' APARTMENT! :(
Looks like you made some good progress though! WTG! :)