2WD Tradewind? Bad idea? Worth a try?

I recently had the opportunity to ride a Bike E tandem with my wife and now she is willing to consider a tandem. One potential problem... we prefer different cadence. She like low cadence power pedaling and I prefer higher cadence spinning. Forcing us to adjust to the same cadence could make it uncomfortable enough that we would both rather ride our own bikes again. I have also been very interested in a FrontRunner ever since I got the opportunity to test ride a CruzBike a few years ago. So, I got to thinking, what if I built a Tradewinds tandem with a FrontRunner drive and a separate recumbent drive in back? We could each choose the gear we want and have the other benefits of a tandem such as staying together, getting to talk, etc.

While researching I found very little information. The only negative I found was one person mentioned that if linked cranks had different tooth counts sprockets that odd pulses would develop as the pedals went in and out of sync. No further explanation.

Question 1: Is the two-wheel-drive FrontRunner tandem a bad idea? Why?
Question 2: If it is a bad idea, what about the shared drive with different crank tooth count? Anybody have experience with this setup?

Thank you for your input.

Hi there

This shows at least 3 Google fwd+tandem+bicycle and I am sure there are others.

Of course you could always go back to back ?

Or coupled deltas would work ?

and a record train ?

regards Paul

Hi there

This shows at least 3 Google fwd+tandem+bicycle and I am sure there are others.

Of course you could always go back to back ?

Or coupled deltas would work ?

and a record train ?

regards Paul
Stormbird, you are much better at Google searches than me. I bet that I didn't use the right wording. Thank you for those images. I now have a plan.

Which of the many versions do you plan to build ?

There is a plan for a back to back :- Btb Tandem

and some pictures of it :- Tandem builder zip

More stuff here Flevo bike tandems although Flevo bikes have a steep learning curve.

regards Paul

I have not yet decided which version I will build, still researching. In fact, I had not seen any until I started this thread; every tandem I had seen utilized a chain linking the pilot to the stoker. My search skills must be severely lacking.

My current thinking is to have the pilot set up like a Cruzbike using the plans from the FrontRunner and Atom Blaster. My wife would like suspension so I am struggling a little for the stoker. I would like to keep the overall length less than 8', so I'm considering a 20" wheel for her tucked under the frame. Her seat height must also be less than 27".

Hmmm

That is a very tall order for a first build !

How did you fare on the Cruzbike ? MBB can be a acquired taste and the front of a loaded tandem is not the place to find out you do not have full control of it's trajectory !

Where does your 8ft restriction come from ?

How long was the Bike-e tandem ?

As it is already a tandem with suspension I would be tempted to copy that [ with a 20" front wheel ] and make it twisting chain at the front instead.

So the front like this :-

On the one above you would have to Z the frame behind the front seat to get room for the suspension ? you would maybe get away with 3" clearance for a spring and maybe only 2 for an elastomer ?

That is the ZOX Compact tandem reviewed here ? RCN 071

oooh I see they still make that ..nice ZOX 2020 duo compact

Hmmm

That is a very tall order for a first build !

How did you fare on the Cruzbike ? MBB can be a acquired taste and the front of a loaded tandem is not the place to find out you do not have full control of it's trajectory !

Where does your 8ft restriction come from ?

How long was the Bike-e tandem ?

As it is already a tandem with suspension I would be tempted to copy that [ with a 20" front wheel ] and make it twisting chain at the front instead.

So the front like this :-

On the one above you would have to Z the frame behind the front seat to get room for the suspension ? you would maybe get away with 3" clearance for a spring and maybe only 2 for an elastomer ?

That is the ZOX Compact tandem reviewed here ? RCN 071

oooh I see they still make that ..nice ZOX 2020 duo compact

Oops! I forgot to mention this is not my first build; I have built a HighRoller and a Wildcat.

I did well on the Cruzbike. The shop owner told me to expect to fall a couple of times; I didn't. Yes, I was a little wobbly on the first couple of starts, but I picked it up rather quickly. No problem on the Bike E tandem either, but I did go into the grass during the u-turn. I think my previous experience on recumbents helped a lot. The first couple of test rides I will likely put a 50 pound sack in the stoker seat as I get acquainted with the bike before crashing with the both of us.

The 8' (serious) preference comes from hauling limitations. My RR Mach 2 is 8' long and as long as will fit in the bed of our CrewCab Frontier. Also, not much more room in the camper for hauling any bike (motor or not).

The bike E tandem was shorted than my Mach 2 by about six inches.

I was not thrilled with the 16" front tire on the bike E, and I have a lot to learn about twisting chain front drives. I feel better about the MBB; both for the build and riding.