Tire wear

Question for those with experience, how do tires last, if used mostly on paved surfaces, comparing aggressive/knobby tread like mountain bike tires and more street type like on road bike tires. I know road bike types will be quieter, correct? What about pedaling effort? Thanks.

No idea on mileage but I hate using knobblies on the road. It's like permanently riding over a cattle grate. Slicks have less rolling resistance than knobblies too so the same effort goes further. Road bikes, unlike cars, don't really need tread as they are thin enough to never aquaplane. Slicks tend to get more punctures though. There's often a balance to be struck between between puncture resistance and weight too.

I have been using Schwalbe marathon plus 20" tires on the front of my Warrior trike for 3 years. It had a hub rear motor so I do have an idea of the mileage on them. So far about 3000 km's. I have dismantled the Warrior to make an Aurora delta trike and those tires will now be on the 2 rear wheels of the delta. They still have a fair bit of tread so I expect to get at least another summer out of them. They are e bike rated as well.

I usually deploy BIG-Apples on my 20" wheels, but the current Tadpole arrived with Marathon+ tyres and while they are a much harder/harsher ride they are pretty good too.
Tyre choice is pretty personal, but IMHO Schwalbe are hard to beat.