New Guy on Atomic Zombie looking for Welding guidance

my one ounce of advice AVOID HARBOR FREIGHT STUFF
their welders are basically boat anchors. Look for a reconditioned Hobart/Miller mig welder.
Found Weldcity on amazon sells the larger 10 pound spools of flux coated wire about same price as HF. Get the 10 pound spool adapter.

My harbor freight welder (vulcan) i have used to mig weld 2 bikes from plans on this site so far. First was all c02 and HF welding wire, the 2nd bike was c02/argon. I did a few different break tests and the welds were good. Apparently the Vulcan line was designed by a former employee from miller or hobart, if i remember.

HF has improved their quality a lot over the years, their prices have gone up also, but with the warranty being a no questions asked not matched by any other manufacturer, they are definitely qork looking into some reviews and watching some videos for opinions. Below is the review that really caught people off guard, its for HF generators vs Honda, which are the gold standard in my opinion.

My harbor freight welder (vulcan) i have used to mig weld 2 bikes from plans on this site so far. First was all c02 and HF welding wire, the 2nd bike was c02/argon. I did a few different break tests and the welds were good. Apparently the Vulcan line was designed by a former employee from miller or hobart, if i remember.

HF has improved their quality a lot over the years, their prices have gone up also, but with the warranty being a no questions asked not matched by any other manufacturer, they are definitely qork looking into some reviews and watching some videos for opinions. Below is the review that really caught people off guard, its for HF generators vs Honda, which are the gold standard in my opinion.

I agree on the HF merchandise. They do have their cheap China throw-away tools, but they have really stepped up their game in recent times. If I didn't have my Hobart Handler 140, (which is great) I would invest in their new Vulcan brand myself.

I've watched reviews on the Vulcan versus Lincoln, and for my money, the Vulcan is worth the try. Lincoln and Miller are way overpriced, just for their name. I'm also interested in their new Predator generators.

The generator test above missed one of the bigger issues - ie how long will it last?
In the mean time, that's why I mentioned the warranty. Usually the product and 2 year warranty is still a good saving over other brands.

I made myself a sturdy wooden bench with a thick plywood top. Then I put 4' x 2' of 6mm steel plate on top of it. It works OK but is a bit small (and so is my tiny little workshop).
Hi Danny

I like the idea of the wood workbench with a steel top.

I'm using the Chinese generic "Giant" brand. The oldest one, AC/DC TIG, is serving me for 10 years +.

For welding bench, I started from a second hand Black&Dekker workmate with a steel sheet over it, to a homebuild "real" welding table of 800*1000mm. But now I'm using this "budget friendly" piece of comfort.

For welding bench, I started from a second hand Black&Dekker workmate with a steel sheet over it, to a homebuild "real" welding table of 800*1000mm. But now I'm using this "budget friendly" piece of comfort.
Wow I nearly agreed with you till I copped the price !

I think I will go with the first option please , yes I built one also and it folds flat when not needed !

Paul

Hello AZers

I am quickly getting up to speed with welding skills with a plan to build the Street Fighter, though my plan is to make the seating more upright and eventually with an enclosed body and roof, similar to our friend in Sweden, Fantom's Nephew

I would like to hear from you all regarding the idea of combining the Street fighter plan with the Timber Wolf plan. As I plan to be using the street fighter primarily as a transporter of materials, groceries, etc, I would like to use the suspension plan outlined in the Timber wolf with the front end two wheeled look of the street fighter.

all the best

Dan in Boston