Never try to be too clever.

Cue 2022/3 with spiralling energy prices here in the UK.
I know, I thought..... let me put Thermostatic radiator valves on all radiators and take total control of every room.
OK, I did that and the fuel bill did come down :) but with an unwelcome side-effect. The "overheat protection" on the boiler kept on tripping out two or three times a day. Wife was most unimpressed in Winter when we woke to find the bedroom cold and failed heating.
Much grumbling ensued.
I pushed the problem out to a forum I belong to (LANDYZONE) that I know has a few Central Heating engineers on it.
Advice was to remove the TRV's from the two bathroom radiators as the system needs a heat sink to dump heat to when the boiler stops.

That was 3 days ago, and I just undid the TRV wax-thermostats from the valves and put the caps on instead.
We have not had one single boiler trip-out so far. 🙃
Wife's happer (they never are actually "HAPPY" .... just a degree "Happier"...it is asymptotic I think. ;)

Thermostatic valves alter the balance of water flow so as something closes water gets diverted to the others. Sometimes balancing all the radiators can be a real dog of a job so they all get hot rather than just some. They can make a right muck up of a finely balanced system.

Thermostatic valves alter the balance of water flow so as something closes water gets diverted to the others. Sometimes balancing all the radiators can be a real dog of a job so they all get hot rather than just some. They can make a right muck up of a finely balanced system.
They have worked OK to keep unoccupied rooms appropriately heated against cold & damp and have kept the bills down.
The mistake was NOT having at least 2 radiators permanently on and un-closable to act as a heat sink for the boiler to prevent the overheat from tripping. Not had a boiler trip now for several days. :)
I had set the lockshield valves on each radiator to produce a 10-12 degree drop when the TRV for the room(s) was open.
I live and learn. :D

Back