Tandem Build

Tried modifying that aluminum gooseneck to get the handlebars out of the way of my knees. It broke... crash. Now I'm on the hunt for a steel gooseneck to make work. I have a lead on one, but must be patient to meet up with the guy. I will report back once it's installed and I've done a test ride.

Wow! It has been almost four months. Life can get in the way of projects sometimes. However, it is time to bring anyone interested up to speed. As I redisigned it, this bike is hard to ride. I suspect a combination of three things that create this difficulty.
  1. My inexperience with MBB bikes.
  2. The long wheelbase; especially combined with the MBB and my inexperience.
  3. Some error of geometry (rake, trail, etc.).
I was about to give up and buy an upright tandem when the thought struck me to finish it as a Brad designed the Tradewinds Tandem. So, I am on the hunt for a BMX bike, at Christmas time. Excellent timing. (Where is that sarcasm font?)

There will be one modification from Brad's instructions. Both drive systems I have come with 28T, 38T and 48T chainrings. I doubt that we will use the 28T chainring in Florida, where we live; so I will connect the two cranksets via these chainrings.

Took the reworked tandem out for a test ride today. All went well. Yay! It's strange sitting over top of the front wheel, the whole bike seems to shift under you as you give steering input.

There are a few tweaks I want to make. I will cut 3 inches out of the frame behind the stoker, that chain is stretched tight. I also want to figure out a way to mount a water bottle cage where I can reach it and maybe a speedometer where I can see it. After that it is mostly prep for paint, clean and lube moving parts and add new tires and brake pads.

Splendid effort !

Why not cut the 3" out between the front wheel and chain rings ?

Will make it a bit easier to move around and shorten the swinging bit at the front ? [ I know it is NOT MBB but the front pedals still swing around the head tube , caught me out a couple od times and pedals and wheel has different arcs ? ]

For the water bottle's hows about a couple of mounts under the front seat pointing slight up and outwards ? [ i.e @ 90' to seat ?]

You have probably does this ? however it would be a more relaxing ride if the end of the bars were angled upwards and slightly forward ?

Like this ?

Paul

Splendid effort !

Why not cut the 3" out between the front wheel and chain rings ?

Will make it a bit easier to move around and shorten the swinging bit at the front ? [ I know it is NOT MBB but the front pedals still swing around the head tube , caught me out a couple od times and pedals and wheel has different arcs ? ]

For the water bottle's hows about a couple of mounts under the front seat pointing slight up and outwards ? [ i.e @ 90' to seat ?]

You have probably does this ? however it would be a more relaxing ride if the end of the bars were angled upwards and slightly forward ?

Paul
Thank you for the ideas, Paul; I will consider them. I really like the idea for the water bottles and must think that through.

The captains chainring is fixed to the frame and only swings when the whole bike turns. I basically re-built it as designed. Taking the extra length from behind the stoker will create needed slack for the stoker's chain to make all of the gearing combinations.

The handlebars are done as Brad designed them and align with my hands as they rest hanging at my sides. There is no linkage, they are welded directly to the fork. They are also out of the way for mounting and dismounting the bike. I do see two possible advantages to your idea. First, it does seem like it might be more comfortable. Second, I might have better control. Time to mock up different handlebars.

Last edited:
My bars are fully adjustable by virtue of them being a pair of MTB straight bar ends on each side , the idea was that it makes them fully adjustable in lot's of planes both for length and angle.

Temporary of course only been like that about 7 years ;)

Looking at them the angles are all over the place AND mirrored , I could not think of any easy way to make a jig to replace them with welded bars and so they have stayed, probably heavier than needed and a bit clunky however clunky is trumped by ' WORKS ' any day 👍:whistle: