20x20 midracer twisting chain FWD a ZOX S-frame clone'ish ?

Hi all

So despite my protestations in this thread :- the sap is rising ...

A new bike has been started !

A loose copy of this :-

A ZOX S-frame 20" x 20"

This is a wooden mockup to see if all the bits fit and I can reach the pedals....

The seat will be higher and it will have a single side mounted rear wheel , groovey or what !

have no idea where seat will end up , except prehaps further forward.

Realised I can raise the pedals considerably as I am comfortable with them at least 15 cm above the seat , however I can't sort the front end out until I have a set of forks ?

So cut some steel ! the piece for the rear wheel to mount on , a over long main boom and a piece to mount the head tube in also over long.

I cleaned up my truncated forks to lengthen the legs.

Progress soon I hope.

all the best Paul

What's this! :mad:
Romping ahead on the sly? LOL :ROFLMAO:
You realise of course that this means there will be a nuclear arms-race ;)

Just Kidding of course. It looks like a good project. I especially like the single sided rear wheel idea (you have far too many of those 70mm hubs at your disposal anyway).
I look forward to seeing it develop.

Dan.

Just a thought, is that front fork really going to be at that angle?
Or, is it just because the keel section needed cutting in order to get it more upright?
Oh, and I think your tyres are a bit "bald" ;)

Last edited:
Just a thought, is that front fork really going to be at that angle?
however I can't sort the front end out until I have a set of forks ?

Or, is it just because the keel section needed cutting in order to get it more upright?
probably ?

Oh, and I think your tyres are a bit "bald" ;)
Nope , new Schwalbe puncture proof guaranteed ;)

What's this! :mad:
Romping ahead on the sly? LOL :ROFLMAO:
Nope , there would be no thread if on the sly 😁

You realise of course that this means there will be a nuclear arms-race ;)
Full bike verses trike front end ?

Just Kidding of course. It looks like a good project. I especially like the single sided rear wheel idea (you have far too many of those 70mm hubs at your disposal anyway).
Just showing off really ...

I look forward to seeing it develop. Dan.
So do I , honey do list not withstanding.

Ok we are supposed to be building a bike in this thread ?

We need to modify some front forks to take a rear wheel ? The crude way is to spread them and then try and bend the ends back parallel and with enough clearance for both a cassette and or a disc rotor.
The smarter way is to cut them and add stuff ?
So cutting them just after the brake studs got rid of the fork's rake , as I want the legs as straight as possible , because the chain needs to run parallel to them to reduce pedal steer/torque
I have plug welded some stubs into the fork ends to locate the new piece's of leg tubing and reinforce the joint.

This looks about the best tyre/crown clearance I can get , there is still about 3mm of brake shoe adjustment to the right and lot's to the left.

I have ordered some 4mm plate to make these card templates from 1 each side then a short length of straight leg tubing will be spliced in to the existing tube's/stubs and with a 45' angle cut at the other end will meet these plates ...

Hopefully job's a good un ?

anyone spot the non deliberate mistake ?

i should not be left unsupervised !

If you're having the brakes in front of the fork as per your mock-up the freewheel would usually reside at the other side!

If you're having the brakes in front of the fork as per your mock-up the freewheel would usually reside at the other side!
Yeah right (y), I had actually only set it up to get the length of the add on tubing so I can cut them a bit longer and get them welded on first.

Although now you mention it I may look at having the brakes on the back of the fork , they may clear the chain easier , the other advantage is that it means without modding the brake arms the cable comes out on the left and so is also out of the way of the chain 😁

Some commercial recumbent's were like that from new ...

A StreetGlider with them on the back ?

A Vison R64 same again , my SpeedRoss had them on the back as well.

Spooky they were the first brake arms I picked up and they are a set I reversed for the PDQ.