Golden rules of tidying ?

Hi all

Doing some much needed lockdown tidying ?

I have 3 golden rules:-

1. start with cupboards and shelves to try and free up space
  2. move much used stuff to easily accessed places
  3. ALWAYS end up with some free space [ say about a 1/5th ] so the next new acquisition has somewhere to go and not be plonked on the nice clean work bench , for the cycle to start again ?
anyone else have some useful tips ?

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
Four temporary piles for those things for which a permanent place has not yet been decided or available:

1. That which you are currently using day by day.
  2. That which you have a definite future plan for.
  3. That which will be sold, at least attempted, because it has some perceived value.
  4. That which will be thrown out.
The above might take a bit of discipline. If you can't apply it, you may be handling it again next time.

I have one golden rule:-

It doesn't matter how long you've had it laying around unused. It will be wanted within 2 weeks of throwing it out!

The secret to maintaining a clean bench or storage area.

Always have more than one bench or storage space.

It is a matter of efficient rotational use.
Bench sizes/area's are proportional to ones immediate work/storage structural capabilities.

Rotating sequencing

2nd 'clutter' area moves to bench/storage area #1.
3rd 'clutter' area moves to bench/storage area #2.
4th 'clutter' area moves....well you get the idea.

In this example clutter area #4 will become clean, ready for the next rotation of clutter.
When used in accordance with the above instructions it will always keep 'one' bench/area clean at all times.

Disclaimer: This method is not guaranteed, and no responsibility will be assumed for the ineffectiveness of its implementation.

Now if you will excuse me, I must go rotate my stock of clutter.

Four temporary piles for those things for which a permanent place has not yet been decided or available:
At that stage where I am currently tripping over them on the floor trying to get to the storage/tool areas

1. That which you are currently using day by day.
usually 30%
2. That which you have a definite future plan for.
usually 60%
3. That which will be sold, at least attempted, because it has some perceived value.
usually 5%
4. That which will be thrown out.
usually 5%

The above might take a bit of discipline. If you can't apply it, you may be handling it again next time.
Poor odds

vk3ckc ' It doesn't matter how long you've had it laying around unused. It will be wanted within 2 weeks of throwing it out! '

Only if you can remember throwing it out :whistle:

edspedalcars that's the luxury of having space , over in the UK it is more like the sliding tile puzzle with one empty square

One other thing I try to do is keep the materials and tools separate hopefully so I can find the tools !

SirJoey

Super Moderator
I have one golden rule:-
It doesn't matter how long you've had it laying around unused. It will be wanted within 2 weeks of throwing it out!
I've found the inverse to also be true! No matter how long you keep
something laying around "just in case",
you'll never actually need it!

...unless, as you said, you actually throw it out! :LOL:

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
Unfortunately, that which you hung onto because it was just too good to throw out, may one day be just casually thrown away by someone else when you are no longer around to have any control over it. All it would have done from the time you decided to keep on hanging onto it, was occupy that valuable shelf space that you were looking for at the time. At least, if nothing else, you would have had the pleasure of hanging onto it.

Unfortunately, that which you hung onto because it was just too good to throw out, may one day be just casually thrown away by someone else when you are no longer around to have any control over it.
To true.

All it would have done from the time you decided to keep on hanging onto it, was occupy that valuable shelf space that you were looking for at the time. At least, if nothing else, you would have had the pleasure of hanging onto it.
I thing also we over inflate the value of some of the things we own ?
So I cadge something for free ?
It was usually give because it had no perceived value by the owner ?
Looking on Ebay it also has no value ?

So why do we give it a value and because of that are reluctant to throw it away ?

If I was more disciplined I would make a list of the ' current ' say 6 jobs I had a desire to do and throw away anything not needed for them ?

However I am like a butterfly and flit from job to job , I feel that because I am retired I have the luxury of being able to do that.
Then I get spread to thinly and nothing gets done.

Paul

I want to add two rules.

Addition 1. Never, ever, ever allow your significant-other to do any "tidying" of your space. You will never locate a darned thing ever again. 🤪
Addition 2. The tidiness of any workshop is inversely proportional to the enjoyment and fun the owner of said workshop is having working on their project. ;)

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
I agree 100% Danny.

Disposing of "stuff" might be easier if there was only the monetary value to consider. Amateur radio people, being of a technical nature, tend to build a lot of the equipment that they use and as time goes by, new technologies change their course of direction. Some of those DIY things have significant time, expense and sentimental components. Some eventually get relegated to the "junk box" waiting to be re-purposed, along with other things that they have obtained for a future project. Despite the best of intentions, some of it never happens and stocks just keep increasing until the room no longer serves the purpose for which it was intended.

However, one man's junk is another man's treasure.

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
Ever since moving out of the city, I find no need to clean the "garage" here!
.... freedom!!!!!
It seems like you haven't been there long enough and can still move around in it. I also don't live in town, enjoyed all the free space for quite a few years and cleaning up the existing sheds to claim back some space is cheaper than building another.

Unless (of course) all Brad's vehicles are parked out in the open air. In which case mother nature can do all the cleaning, washing and dusting she wants.