AZ inspired trike build starts!

Lookin' great!

Oh yeah, the PWOD! I agree with that and don't often use them anymore.
While I do admit to using a larger diameter PWOD than the grinder calls for, they are scary nonetheless!

I had one snag on a corner and it took the grinder from my hands.
Being looked on the on position, it hit the bench and then swung around on the power cord right at me.
My Jedi reflexes allowed my to duck, avoiding a head strike, but it then proceeded to wind up in my shirt, still locked in the on position!
I will not forget the humming of that stuck motor as my shirt was slowly eaten while the wheel tore at my chest.
Ripped the plug from the outlet, and took a deep breath before checking the damage... not too bad, looked like road rash.

Anyhow, I don't use the trigger lock with the PWOD, and hold on like my life depends on it now!

Full face masks... good idea!

Brad
Though this experience surely could have been worse, the visual, has brought a smile to my morning.... :).

Input appreciated! Yes the plan shows this too but for some reason I didn't do it. I was going to let the rod end do all the work in that regard, since the angle changes when you steer anyway. But, I see your point and will adjust it. There's definitely still work to do :)
Take a long straight edge and lay it cross the two plates. The plates should be on the same plane, as in parallel to the straight edge, not the floor. The angles will change as you steer but the rod end should make up the small difference. As long as it does not bind you are good!

Website
miscdotgeek.com
Thanks for the advice, all! I did as suggested and pointed them at each other. I also bought a 2" long 1/2" spacer, which was of course too big. I trimmed them down by cutting them length wise and then closing up the gap two times. You can see the spacers and the completed (but not finish welded) steering setup in a video update below!

And a HUGE HUGE HUGE thanks to @Radical Brad for the mention of this thread and my site in the AZ Newsletter. You rock man. Seriously :)

Lastly, one of my Instagram followers saw my post about the hilariously oversized rod ends and mentioned that one of his cargo bike customers had a 5 or 6mm rod end snap on him! I'm okay with the oversized in this case :)

Last edited:
IMO square tie rods work better than the conduit. no pliers needed for adjustment top hole the conduit and it is easier to weld.

Looking good there! I'm just having my morning coffee and surfing this site. On your first post you spun your shaft with a bench grinder...assuming it does 3450 rpm, that would be 266.26 mph using 26x2.125 wheels and tires! 😲

Website
miscdotgeek.com
Thanks @NOBLNG . I appreciate it! and @MrIdaho in this case the round fits the 12mm nuts perfectly so I'm taking advantage of it. IT'll actually be less work :)

Regarding the RPM, I actually spun the shaft at full speed and it vibrates, but at low speeds it should be fine. If this fails, I'll be going for a more accurate solution with actual pillow blocks and machined parts- assuming the frame holds up and the thing isn't an overall disaster :p

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
If it's an overall disaster, it will be because you stopped building too soon. Until the real end of building is reached, it is under development.

By the way, what is your connection with a native Australian marsupial mammal, or is that just an incorrect assumption from part of your nom de plume?

Website
miscdotgeek.com
Thanks for the idea, @Twinkle.

No progress over the last few days, have been busy or resting up, or both! I did get the welds done on the steering arms, but still need to get the tie rod welds taken care of before I can call steering "done". I also did get the camping mat, and it looks like it's going to work really well. Today I'm hoping to get the steering done and then glue a layer of foam on the seat back and bottom. I may add a second layer of foam on the bottom, as it's fairly thin. We'll see.

Signed,
The Trike Nut Formerly Known as Rykoala

Website
miscdotgeek.com
More Progress today! Yes, I capitalized "Progress" because this was a big one today.

Yep- that's right. The frame is now one piece! I added some lateral supports because it seemed appropriate. The port (as opposed to starboard) support has some lousy welds, and the underside of the top attachment has way to big of a gap. I'm thinking about cutting it off and redoing that one, but I genuinely don't want to. I know structurally it's enough, and it's well hidden behind the seat. We'll see how ambitious I get!

I don't know if I'll get anything done tomorrow. I'm reaching the point where details are going to start mattering. I have the hubs to service, headsets to grease, and then a seat to build. I have to clearcoat the wood to keep water out of it, so that's going to have to be done before I can glue the foam on and cover the seat. Then I need to test fit brakes, and come up with a way to actuate both brakes with one lever. And then there's derailers, which I haven't really thought too much about yet. Last time I did this, I used all housing zip tied to the frame. I'll likely do the same this time, as well. It just works :)

Hi Trike Nut!
Recently found Benscycle.com. They have double barrel brake levers for left or right hand $14.99 USD. Listed as long pull levers.
I've seen similar units/ price on Fleabay, but they were not specified as long or short pull.
Jeffstuff!

Website
miscdotgeek.com
The problem with off the shelf double bike handles is that they have different amounts of leverage on each cable. What I need is one that has the same amount of leverage on two individual cables. I have seen them online and most of them look. I expect this is what I'm going to do.

Website
miscdotgeek.com
@stormbird that's the exact arrangement I am looking at, yes. I was too lazy to find a picture of it at the moment :p

As for why. There's no front brake on this bike, just the two rears. The alternative is to have each rear brake on its own lever, so they'd be cutting brakes. If I need to stop in a hurry I don't trust myself to apply even pressure and not put myself in a ditch or out into traffic :p