DIY Electric Tractor and Dump Trike!

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
I've got a headache. So many figures that I have long forgotten. We went metric many years ago, although many make it harder for themselves by trying to maintain both systems. You work out what you want in metric and it's converted to imperial at the counter.

We do have two public railway gauges: Standard 1430mm (4' 8 and 1/2") and Broad 1600mm (5' 3"). Much of that is being converted to 1430mm. There are a number of private narrow gauges as well.

Centimetres were not part of our metric adoption but it is used everywhere. Everything is shortened these days, possibly due to people trying to fit it into SMS texting with their busy lives. We can now buy so many kilos (thousands multiplier) of sausages, so many mils (engineering term for thousandths of an inch) of milk and the list goes on.

What's the go in Britain, part metric and part imperial? Don't they still use miles? There must be a rational reason for it.

I've got a headache. So many figures that I have long forgotten. We went metric many years ago, although many make it harder for themselves by trying to maintain both systems. You work out what you want in metric and it's converted to imperial at the counter.

We do have two public railway gauges: Standard 1430mm (4' 8 and 1/2") and Broad 1600mm (5' 3"). Much of that is being converted to 1430mm. There are a number of private narrow gauges as well.

Centimetres were not part of our metric adoption but it is used everywhere. Everything is shortened these days, possibly due to people trying to fit it into SMS texting with their busy lives. We can now buy so many kilos (thousands multiplier) of sausages, so many mils (engineering term for thousandths of an inch) of milk and the list goes on.

What's the go in Britain, part metric and part imperial? Don't they still use miles? There must be a rational reason for it.
In Britain too we are now split between the old Imperial and the newer Metric measures.
  • Except for older machinery (Whitworth/AF) all threads seem to be metric.
  • We pay for fuel by the Litre, but it is referred to as "Over £5/Gallon" for shock value.
  • We pay for energy by the KiloWatt but have the Natural Gas converted to Kw from its Calorific value (which varies).
  • We buy meat also in Kilo's/Grammes but everybody still ask for '1/2 a pound' etc.
  • All UK railstock (except funicular or special purpose narrow-gauge) is 4' 8 and a half inches.

wish he would keep off the cycle lanes !!!

sadly now out of business

so sad we cannot drive these interesting cars ?
LOL I worked ad a company in that did some work for the carver.
We had one in the factory. It was the first one that solved the balancing problem.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Took the wood splitter for a tour yesterday and the Mule had no problems at all.
For this test, I dragged the splitter across a farm field, up and down a huge hill, and then through the 4 foot tall brush.
Blog and videos will be updated tomorrow if it actually rains!

The new chain guard works perfectly as well. Now I can mow through anything without getting grass and small trees wound up in the chain.

Brad

Took the wood splitter for a tour yesterday and the Mule had no problems at all.
For this test, I dragged the splitter across a farm field, up and down a huge hill, and then through the 4 foot tall brush.
Blog and videos will be updated tomorrow if it actually rains!

View attachment 3359

The new chain guard works perfectly as well. Now I can mow through anything without getting grass and small trees wound up in the chain.

Brad
Boy! That thing is HUGE!
This photo really shows how large this beast really is.

And that seat looks quite comfy.

It's big, I love it but I think that the owner of my home will not like it as I would park that behind my home. 😁

No not this one, but I think something smaller and lighter will be a good thing for in the city.
I now deliver food for the shop below me with a car. But some parts are way easier to reach by bike. Something like this with suspension all around and a closed back where you can put boxes in to keep it cool, would work. Especially as the bike is narrow enough to fit on a bike lane. With e assist it would be a fast way to deliver food.

Here we have bike lanes everywhere and you are faster on a bike trough the center of the city than with a car. Also you can take short cuts.

SirJoey

Super Moderator
Here we have bike lanes everywhere and you are faster on a bike trough the center of the city than with a car. Also you can take short cuts.
Yeah, yeah, rub it in! :LOL:
You are fortunate to live in a very bike-friendly country, while here in the states it's just the opposite
in most places, although we are making some small (& painfully slow) progress in some of the cities.
Unfortunately for me personally, my little city isn't one of them. 😭

This looks great Brad! What a smart idea, and an excellent build. I'm surprised that this idea hasn't been pursued by one of the big utility vehicle manufacturers, like John Deere. Perhaps they don't think that they could sell a slower moving version. They'd have to put 4 wheels on it after all the bad publicity from the old 3 wheeled golf carts.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Thanks all!

I wondered why there wasn't something like this as well, which is the reason I made it be.
Most around here use an ATV, but the cost.... zoinks, I am not a lottery winner, so that was out.

Also, an ATV seemed like an expensive vehicle that can do a LOT of things.... but none of them really well.
Towing... not too bad.
Hauling... not good at all.
Dumping a load.... nope.
Cost to run... high.
Cost to own... astronomical.

Brad

Yeah, yeah, rub it in! :LOL:
You are fortunate to live in a very bike-friendly country, while here in the states it's just the opposite
in most places, although we are making some small (& painfully slow) progress in some of the cities.
Unfortunately for me personally, my little city isn't one of them. 😭

You are always welcome to enjoy our cicle lanes.
In my city they are renewing and upgrading them, so it's saver and they ride smoother.😊

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
When I first saw Brad's masterpiece I thought, "One of those would be nice around here on my 5 acres as a small, cheap, tractor." See, I didn't provide the area in hectares? What we bought were acres, so it is staying that way. Anyway, a light suddenly went on, I have two ride-on mowers, one of them, Husqvarna, still has the cutting deck and is used for mowing. The other, Murray, is not used for anything. Since the light moment, it has had a small, makeshift, grader blade made to haul behind it. The driveway now looks much better.

Something else I might look at is an old functioning mobility scooter that I don't have a need for - yet. It could be re-purposed and geared down for duty as an electric factotum. I borrowed that term from a Fiat tractor that was sold in Oz around 1960. Anyway another possible project. Trouble is, I may need the mobility scooter for its manufactured purpose by the time I get around to it.

When I first saw Brad's masterpiece I thought, "One of those would be nice around here on my 5 acres as a small, cheap, tractor." See, I didn't provide the area in hectares? What we bought were acres, so it is staying that way. Anyway, a light suddenly went on, I have two ride-on mowers, one of them, Husqvarna, still has the cutting deck and is used for mowing. The other, Murray, is not used for anything. Since the light moment, it has had a small, makeshift, grader blade made to haul behind it. The driveway now looks much better.

Something else I might look at is an old functioning mobility scooter that I don't have a need for - yet. It could be re-purposed and geared down for duty as an electric factotum. I borrowed that term from a Fiat tractor that was sold in Oz around 1960. Anyway another possible project. Trouble is, I may need the mobility scooter for its manufactured purpose by the time I get around to it.
Morning vk3ckc I'd exchange the mobility scooter for an electric factoturn and keep an eye on Mobility Scooter Shop for a used scooter for future needs as a Atomic Zombie there should be nothing to stop us from repair or rejuvenating the scooter.

This design made me look to make something to replace the car for delivery in my city.
It will only not be that big.