DIY Electric Tractor and Dump Trike!

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Going to get the treated lumber tomorrow to complete the box.
This thing is bullet proof, even the box is 2 inch 1/4" wall angle iron!

I also have a new front tire and a cool chrome headlight from a 1940's firetruck to install.
Just need a set of new batteries now. Anyone have 2 brand new Optima Yellow Tops they don't want?
They are not inexpensive batteries, but I would rather get a quality set that lasts.

The space behind the battery bank is for my 24 volt charger.

Brad

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Looking at it, you might think that, but the pilots head is above the frame and actually a fair distance in front.
I thought of putting a back rest there, but it is actually too far back for that.
I also intend to move the seat up another 4 inches as well.

When the box dumps, it is also a few inches away from the seat.

Brad

Following this with keen interest, Brad

Since my garden tractor died, I've had to rely on DIY, all with hand tools, or hire someone to do it.
I've thought that maybe I should get another tractor.

But this build has got me thinking, I just might be able to do a similar build,
suitable for my meager 1.33 acres.

I don't believe I would need such a robust differential though.
I would be using it for mainly stone boat dragging, or debris carting.
Maybe a differential the size of a golf cart, would work for a lighter duty use.

I had a tilting box, on the back of my tractor. It was mounted on top of the gannon frame.
Worked like a champ, but should have been bigger, like yours.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Even a small car diff. like a Pontiac2000 / Chevette would be more then enough.
I just used what I found at the local dump. Actually most of this build is made from scrap yard junk!

Another option is the front diff. from something like a Jeep CJ, where the housing is offset.
You just cut the long side to match the short, then replace that axle with a short one, and now you have a narrower diff.
I did this on my yard robot project (work in progress).

Brad

Morning Stormbird, Which is out of business R.Q. Riley or the Leaning Car company . I did see in Mother Earth News (Might be a back issue available check the web) for a leaning car using a motorcycle engine.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
I have made some progress.
Actually, it's almost ready, paint is drying!
Just have to wait for it to cure, then I can put everything together.

I will update the blog when I have the chance, but here are some photos from the last few days...

Made a "fuel tank" that hides all the electrical, battery bank, backup alarm, and a master cutoff switch.

Differential drained and axles removed for painting. The diff. was in good shape considering it came from a burned truck.

Painted the small parts first. Pain drying in my shack next to my shortened jeep front diff (robot project).

Frame painted and drying in the sun. I did the dump box frame in black, and the wood will probably be light green.

I hope it doesn't rain tonight, I have the diff. cover in the shack curing. That's a 2" trailer hitch ball.

So far I like everything about this project, and it will soon be going to work out here on the homestead!

Brad

Last edited:

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
And to get the bears to notice!
There is one that keeps venturing right into the yard.
I run him down, but each time he runs a little less fast.
Not sure how that is going to end.

Brad

And to get the bears to notice!
There is one that keeps venturing right into the yard.
I run him down, but each time he runs a little less fast.
Not sure how that is going to end.

Brad
Bears in the yard ! WOW !

And I thought I had it bad with the squirrels and rabbits playing 'patty cake' with each other.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Yeah, there are a few. One that grew up in the back part of our yard, and another massive one I have seen around.
Here is "dumb dumb" when he was a little dude...

Yes, that's the trail down to my welding shack.
I would have to chase after him each day.

Here is another shot of him. He popped up when I was taking photos of the Aurora during the build...

He was maybe 50 feet from me, and I pointed at him with a scolding tone.
We call him DumbDumb because he ain't too bright as far as bears go.

Instead of eating the perfect berries or apples at the base of the tree, he climbs up to the top, shreds the tree and then falls on his back to get the higher fruit. he also dug into our compost heap multiple times to chew on the same rotted coconut shell. Not exactly a rocket scientist.

There was also this huge car size bear that would follow me through the bush. Kind of creepy!

Now this mid size bear is snoopin' around. A ran him down last night, but he didn't run all that fast.
A bear that stops being afraid of me is a bear that is going to "go away" on a permanent vacation.

I also have 2 ground hogs that hang out near my shack, and there is the odd lynx we hear some nights on the edge of our yard.
Lots of wild life out here in the middle of noplace. Still better than any of the "animals" I dealt with in the city!

Brad

Last edited:
Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
Now this mid size bear is snoopin' around. A ran him down last night, but he didn't run all that fast.
A bear that stops being afraid of me is a bear that is going to "go away" on a permanent vacation.
Add a bear cage/trap to your dumper, entice the bear into it, and you could provide it with a free ride to somewhere else?

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
I do keep this long heavy DIY spear handy, but any bear that takes a shot at me is probably getting either a face full of 6013, or a zip across the mellon with an angle grinder!

Actually the little bear charged me when he was maybe 200 pounds (3 years old?). Came running right at me when I was sitting out back grilling up some nice steaks on the BBQ. I just casually reached for the large knife I had handy and thought... ok then, lets do this. DumbDumb Bear ran right up to me and at the last second veered off back down the hill. He must have realized that I was more than ready to call his bluff.

It's odd, I have never had fear of anything in life, and that has been both my greatest strength and weakness at the same time!
I really would have jumped on that bear if it kept coming at me that day. Didn't even get my pulse up.
For now, I will keep exerting my dominance in the yard, and hope I never have to mix it up with the furry creatures.
The mid sized bear might mess me up on the first fight, but then he would be getting a lesson in who is the apex predator around here as soon as the stiches were set!

That other black bear that is about the size of a VW Beatle on the other hand, I would only want to meet closeup with my double barrel.

Brad

Banglen, Thailand and a little bit Reading, UK
.....can't match you with the bears, but snarling teeth are a regular sight round here. Feral dog packs are commonplace, had half a dozen giving chase sometimes. Used to carry a length of plastic tube to fend them off, but now try avoid areas where I know they hang out. Some are semi-feral really, and if the owner/feeder is anywhere near they feel a good show is required to impress. They do still give chase now occasionally, but the lead dog gets a thump on the muzzle if it gets too close - does the trick......

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
Ok, it rained us out of yard work tonight, so I finally had the chance to update the Blog.
3 new pages added...

https://www.atomiczombie.com/the-yard-mule-page-6/

Next update will be the fully completed Yard Mule!
Brad
Coming together really nicely. You have got the base of a very handy tractor. Are you going to add a removable grader blade, rake or any other implements you may need? Weight would not be a problem so almost anything you need would be possible. A re-purposed cutting deck is another option.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Thanks!

Yes, I do intend to try a grader this winter to do the driveway.
Part of this design also allows the dump box to over extend to the ground (removal of a chain) so that the vehicle can just drive away from the box.
This will allow other large implements to easily connect. I am thinking about experimenting with a small firewood processing design as an implement.

Today is final paint day!
I just completed the 3/4" treated sidewalls for the dump box, and will be painting them in a few minutes...

The removable tailgate is also ready for paint.

Paint will cure today, and depending on the weather, I may put the Yard Mule together tomorrow.
It will be fully completed and ready to use this weekend, I am hyped!

The box can hold 8+ full wheelbarrow loads, so collecting firewood from the 160 acres is going to be a lot easier.
On out initial test ride, I am jumping in the back with a lawn chair, and Kat is going to haul me down to the neighbors property for show and tell.

This is now one of my favorite vehicle builds.

Brad