StreetFighter QuadCycle electric motor

Hi!

Photos;
I have used imgur, which is suggestet in some help thread somewhere here at the forum.
.…..but I always must do and redo but with another link etc so it’s not that straight forward imo.

26” Wheels:
Pros - Larger diameter gives smoother ride and (i think) lower roll resistance.
Cons - Regular 26” is much weaker than BMX 20” and more likely to ”taco” when cornering. Larger diameter might restrict steering angle give the same track width => Atlantic cruiser turning radius.

Kiddos and accordion players are seated in the rear ”box” heavily inspired by the Mochet design. Small foot wells in front of rear axle creates reasonable comfort as long as kids were small. A few years later, now I’m the shortest guy in the family…😬
U might get at view of the size from the prototyp red rear seat box early in the ”Story of a Velocar” film.

Happy building!

//hp

Thanks for your reply HP

I have discuss this issue with my bike expert and have confirmed payment today on 26 inch wheels for the back and BMX 20 inch wheels for the front

It’s a little different from the look I had in mind but I think it’s going to be pretty awesome.

Regarding carrying an extra person or storage I think I will create a box similar to what you did and have my luggage/passenger sit on top on those occasions.

Best of luck to our Italian friend doing the same thing I am just in a different part of the world.

Thank you Dan in Boston

I’d loved to claim that I end off the road, in the ditch, when pedalling hard (on rear left) but the truth is that neither I or the motor changes the course i any notable way. I foot-brake on rear left and have a disc brake on rear right, and when braking HARD with either side one might experience a slight wish turning to corresponding side if no hands on the steering wheel.
Which is no problem since I’m already in the ditch if I dont keep my hands on the helm….😄
…but thats more about bump steering, rake and all that angles jazz…..🤔
(Using MIG with gas. Works ok for me but dreaming of Brads skills with the stick welder!)
👍Looking forward to follow your build!
Thanks HP

If I may ask you a few more questions:

Your machine seems to have one brake only in the rear? Is it sufficient, or do you have other brakes in the front?

Your image of the boxed in motor, foot rests is making more sense to me now, don't be surprised if I steal the design.

thanks again for your feedback...

Dan in Boston

I pedal and pedal-brakes (via three-speed hub under the seat) on rear left and motor and disc brake is on rear right!
No brakes in the front, but I live in a reasonably flat area.
MkII (if/when) will probably have drum brakes in the front, seems convinient!

//hp

Hello HP, Atomic Brad et al:

I am learning how to build and true wheels, but then I realized, no front front brakes on my project. I was thinking to probably put on two disc brakes on the rear axle as shown in the Street Fighter build, but then I thought, will this actually be enough braking power on a hill, fully loaded? As HP lives in a flat area (perhaps Brad as well), pehaps they have not noticed a problem with braking? I am wondering now how to bring more braking power to bear without giving up the idea of a four wheeled vehicle.

Thanks Dan

Regarding the creation of axle flanges for Street fighter, Timber wolf and other designs in the absence of a lathe, I made good progress by using to scale drawings and gluing them directly to my 3" wide steel plate. From there I could easily do all the drilling of the spoke holes prior to cutting them into discs and grinding them into circles. Here are some photos:

Hello HP, Atomic Brad et al:

I am learning how to build and true wheels, but then I realized, no front front brakes on my project. I was thinking to probably put on two disc brakes on the rear axle as shown in the Street Fighter build, but then I thought, will this actually be enough braking power on a hill, fully loaded? As HP lives in a flat area (perhaps Brad as well), pehaps they have not noticed a problem with braking? I am wondering now how to bring more braking power to bear without giving up the idea of a four wheeled vehicle.

Thanks Dan
Dan

I suspect you will have enough braking however not have enough traction to use it !
More rubber would help !

Paul

Dan,
In case you weren't aware, on the AZ deltas with 26" rear wheels the plans call for 3.5" between the hub flanges for additional lateral stability. If you're concerned about braking you could use 180mm or 203mm brake rotors vice the normal 160mm, but you may need to extend the rear frame to have enough clearance around the axle.

Hey that is an excellent idea. As it turns out I have made a much bigger area for the rear frame as I wish to carry a large about of cargo. Here is an image of the current variation. I do believe I have plenty of room for larger rotors.

👍Looking forward to follow your build!
Hi Hape03

Still obsessing about brakes. What is the Fantom creation like coming down hills loaded? Have you ever felt the brakes on the rear axle were not sufficient?

Quixotic suggested larger calipers which may give extra power...

Hi Hape03

Still obsessing about brakes. What is the Fantom creation like coming down hills loaded? Have you ever felt the brakes on the rear axle were not sufficient?

Quixotic suggested larger calipers which may give extra power...
sorry I meant rotors, not calipers...

Hello AZers and shout out to Hape03

I am finally getting back to the Pedal Car project. I have picked up some welding skills and am now building wheels etc. The design of the Streetfighter is with two brakes for the rear and none for the front. I am wondering how that works, as other AZ designs utilize some kind of front brake, i.e. if you did it again would you put on front brakes?

As for power, Hape03 can you identify where you got your scooter, and were you able to connect it to a cyclecomputer to measure the quatity of charge etc?

Hi, and welcome back in the saddle!
I bought a e-bike conversion kit; Front wheel with motor, controller, controls, battery and charger.
First setup lasted approx 5 yrs, then I repeated, now with a tad more expensive stuff. (First lead battery did not last more than a couple of years, lithium longer)
I extracted the motor from the wheel and mounted a sprocket in the holes meant for the breake disc And a corresponding sprocket on the rear right axle.
Sprockets and tiny chain is spare parts from the scooter universe. A bit surprising that this tiny chain still havent broke! (Jinx, jinx)
Going downhill, especially with the heavy duty trailer, I would have appreciated brakes on the front wheels also. On Mk2 there will be drum brakes on the front wheels! (When/If that will happen!😁)

Everything in the first run was bought from a swedish company rull.se, the latter setup from Crystalyte. The Crystalyte stuff seems sturdier but their customer support sucks. Not sure if I would recommend any of them.

Happy building, looking forward to follow the journey!

//hp

Thanks Hape03

I also noticed that you used a completely different steering set up than the one in the original streetfighter design.

I think yours is cooler looking more like a car which is the look I am after I’m just curious about how the linkage works upfront.

thanks Dan

Steering might differ a tad from original design, but the principles are similar. (Ackerman, etc)
If you check out the ”Story of a Velocar” on Youtube and pause @ 1:10 and 1:23 there are quite good views of my interpretation!