Tilting Quad Velomobile

Since becoming an AZ member I have become familiar with some of the builds in "Discuss Your Project". I must say, this site is a real gem for a DIYer. I am impressed by the know-how, knowledge and the support expressed by members of this community, as well as DannyC's humour.

This project is now in its 14th year of numerous failures, many so-so results, and a few successes. Over the years I experimented with all sorts of tilting, steering, and wheel designs. Even the vehicle's layout has morphed from a tadpole into a quad, and now into this delta-quad switch-over model which my wife claims is evidence that I will never truly complete the project.

I'll begin by describing the design, build, and assembly of the two-part main frame and six swingarms. The following images show two full-size dimensional drawings and how the notched, bent, then welded, aluminum tubes match a drawing. A left or right swingarm is made by simply flipping the fabricated part over, as every part is built on one plane without the need for welding jigs. I required four dimensional drawings - two for the main frame, one for the front 4 swingarms and one for the 2 rear swingarms.

Three spindles are fastened to the main frame with brackets and hose clamps. Yes, standard hose clamps). They worked surprisingly well for fastening round-tubed items onto my previous models while offering the flexibility of quick removal for the all-too-frequent redesign/rebuild sequence. For high stress locations I used T-Bolt clamps which are similar to fuel-injection hose clamps, but larger.

2-part Main Frame with Spindles

The spindles are shown with machined nylon bushings, but during actual assembly, the bushings are inserted into the swingarms and then pushed onto the spindles. Bolts with nylon washers are fastened into the spindle ends to hold the swingarms in place. Blue cardboard hides the distracting un-insulated wall of my garage and helps to make the aluminum tubing more visible than if it were just against the concrete flooring.

4 Front Swingarms

The front swingarms are likely overbuild and somewhat grotesque looking. I experimented with dual wishbones and found that swingarms perform better due to their "plane of inclination" suspension travel which minimizes tire-scrub in depressions, bumps, and when tilting in corners. Plus, the switch-over to a delta is quick since a single-sided swingarm is simply placed onto the upper front spindle.

I considered using smaller diameter tubes similar to the structure of the dual wishbones on the Tripendo Trike. While fabricating would have been more complicated and likely require welding jigs, the result would have been more visually appealing as well as lighter in weight.

As things are seldom ideal every step of the way, I eventually settled on what you see. Thankfully, the more ugly central section of the swingarms (next to the frame) will be hidden by the velo's cabin section.

Rear Swingarms

The rear swingarms are more complex and heavier than those generally found on free-tilters. I'm not sure if these are overbuilt, but they will need to take the stresses generated by the tilting apparatus.

4 Wheels Nesting

Four shallow-dished fiberglass wheels with flange and brake routers attached are shown here before being installed onto the swingarms.

The vehicle (weighing 9.7 kg) is now ready to roll.

In the next post I will focus on the tilting mechanisms and suspension.

Would love to see the pictures , sounds very intriguing ?

Paul

The pictures are dead. Both laptop and phone say the same.
Thanks for pointing out that the pictures have vaporized (?) because they were visible when I posted them and they are currently visible on my computer screen having just logged into the AZ site and clicked onto this "project build" post.
This is my first attempt at inserting an image into any forum so I'm thinking that I left out an important step when embedding the photos from imgur.com, or the "windows 7" operating system on my computer is not up to the task.
It might be worthwhile to rule out the windows 7 possibility first. Are there any members who are still using "windows 7"and are able to successfully insert photos within their posts on the AZ forum? Is there anyone who has experience this problem as well?
I patiently await a reply. Thanks.

Can you post a direct link from imgur.com to either a picture or an album ?

Did you use this button for the images ?

Your link should have looked like this :-

If you paste the above into a browser address bar you should see the above image ?

It is most unlikely this is a Win7 problem !

regards Paul

Velocoupe

Spot on (y):D

Your original post has an Edit button bottom left , if you use that you can add the pictures and it will stop you having to write all the text again.

Paul

Well, it worked once, that's something. Having trouble again when trying to edit original, and even to insert to new post. Now when trying to insert photo, it starts to load then gives msg "Something went wrong. Try again or contact adm" :(

Well, it worked once, that's something. Having trouble again when trying to edit original, and even to insert to new post. Now when trying to insert photo, it starts to load then gives msg "Something went wrong. Try again or contact adm" :(
Simple the site software does not recognise the link as a picture.

The link should look something like this , one of mine.

This is your successful one from the picture posted above ?

Both work when put into the address bar of a browser.

Paul

Simple the site software does not recognise the link as a picture.

The link should look something like this , one of mine.

This is your successful one from the picture posted above ?

Both work when put into the address bar of a browser.

Paul
Thank you so much for the feedback and suggestions. I am a total novice and apart from the one successful insert of the "seat section" photo I am finding it difficult to obtain that "direct link" button in imgur. I'll try again to insert one photo using imgbb.com.
I now have a code in imgbb that somewhat resembles your URL in square brackets. It looks like this: url=https blah-blah-blah 7280.jpg/img /url with each /img and /url enclosed in square brackets.
The code loads up within the "insert image" button on this forum but is followed by the message "something went wrong, contact admin"
Is it likely that the site does not recognize the link as a picture or should I contact the admin?
Many thanks

I think Admin will only tell you what I have said ?

Can you post your image code directly into this text so I can play with it ?

or we could simplify this ?

If you want to send me the pictures attached to emails I will put them in this thread for you ?

If so I will PM you my email address ?

regards Paul

I think Admin will only tell you what I have said ?

Can you post your image code directly into this text so I can play with it ?

or we could simplify this ?

If you want to send me the pictures attached to emails I will put them in this thread for you ?

If so I will PM you my email address ?

regards Paul
Thank you for the generous suggestion.
Yes, I will send the photos attached to an email. When you say "I will PM you my email address", I don' know what PM means or how I can access your address.
Thanks again. It finally seems like I'm moving forward on this image posting experience.

Hi there

This Forum has Conversation software that allows private Messaging [ PM ] between members.

the envelope top right hand of screen.

However you have your security settings for your Username/Account set to not allow me to contact you using this method.

I want to send you my email address this way so it is not made public in the forum and thus on the Internet.

If you find me in the Members area I think you can directly email me from there or PM me your email address ?

Paul

Since becoming an AZ member I have become familiar with some of the builds in "Discuss Your Project". I must say, this site is a real gem for a DIYer. I am impressed by the know-how, knowledge and the support expressed by members of this community, as well as DannyC's humour.

This project is now in its 14th year of numerous failures, many so-so results, and a few successes. Over the years I experimented with all sorts of tilting, steering, and wheel designs. Even the vehicle's layout has morphed from a tadpole into a quad, and now into this delta-quad switch-over model which my wife claims is evidence that I will never truly complete the project.

I'll begin by describing the design, build, and assembly of the two-part main frame and six swingarms. The following images show two full-size dimensional drawings and how the notched, bent, then welded, aluminum tubes match a drawing. A left or right swingarm is made by simply flipping the fabricated part over, as every part is built on one plane without the need for welding jigs. I required four dimensional drawings - two for the main frame, one for the front 4 swingarms and one for the 2 rear swingarms.

Three spindles are fastened to the main frame with brackets and hose clamps. Yes, standard hose clamps). They worked surprisingly well for fastening round-tubed items onto my previous models while offering the flexibility of quick removal for the all-too-frequent redesign/rebuild sequence. For high stress locations I used T-Bolt clamps which are similar to fuel-injection hose clamps, but larger.

The spindles are shown with machined nylon bushings, but during actual assembly, the bushings are inserted into the swingarms and then pushed onto the spindles. Bolts with nylon washers are fastened into the spindle ends to hold the swingarms in place. Blue cardboard hides the distracting un-insulated wall of my garage and helps to make the aluminum tubing more visible than if it were just against the concrete flooring.
4 Front Swingarms

The front swingarms are likely overbuild and somewhat grotesque looking. I experimented with dual wishbones and found that swingarms perform better due to their "plane of inclination" suspension travel which minimizes tire-scrub in depressions, bumps, and when tilting in corners. Plus, the switch-over to a delta is quick since a single-sided swingarm is simply placed onto the upper front spindle.

I considered using smaller diameter tubes similar to the structure of the dual wishbones on the Tripendo Trike. While fabricating would have been more complicated and likely require welding jigs, the result would have been more visually appealing as well as lighter in weight.

As things are seldom ideal every step of the way, I eventually settled on what you see. Thankfully, the more ugly central section of the swingarms (next to the frame) will be hidden by the velo's cabin section.

Rear Swingarms

The rear swingarms are more complex and heavier than those generally found on free-tilters. I'm not sure if these are overbuilt, but they will need to take the stresses generated by the tilting apparatus.

4 Wheels Nesting

Four shallow-dished fiberglass wheels with flange and brake routers attached are shown here before being installed onto the swingarms.

Like Reply

Wow

That's a tour de force not often seen on AZ.

From your write up it sounds as though you have ridden 1 or more of it's predecessors ?

Are there any pictures of the earlier one's ?

the wheels look great how did you build them ?

I assume from your accomplished drawings there may be one of the body shell you intend building.

please send to me more pictures and text if you want them inserting , your wasting your time try to master the ins and outs of computers/forums your time is better spend progressing this !

all the best Paul

4 Front Swingarms

Rear Swingarms

4 Wheels Nesting

Wow

That's a tour de force not often seen on AZ.

From your write up it sounds as though you have ridden 1 or more of it's predecessors ?

Are there any pictures of the earlier one's ?

the wheels look great how did you build them ?

I assume from your accomplished drawings there may be one of the body shell you intend building.

please send to me more pictures and text if you want them inserting , your wasting your time try to master the ins and outs of computers/forums your time is better spend progressing this !

all the best Paul
Thanks Paul for inserting the photos and for your kind words and generous offer to continue helping me to side-step my electronic challenges.
Now to answer your questions. Yes, I've ridden quite a few of its predecessors. Some had to be pushed home. Others were not that lucky.
Photos of my proof of concept model can be seen in article 28 issue 12 of the H.P eJournal. Actually Paul, as the "in house" AZ researcher, you're the one who discovered the article and started a thread on it earlier this year.
I will provide info on the hub-centered FG wheels in a later post.
Yes, I will email you 3 drawings of what I wishfully hope the completed velo will look like and I gratefully accept your offer to continue inserting images as I have a number of short video clips showing how the tilting mechanisms work, how the steering arrangement ( free to caster ) works as well as how the drive, tilt, and steering work together. Boy, I had no idea how difficult it would be to insert a photo, never mind a video.

Photos of my proof of concept model can be seen in article 28 issue 12 of the H.P eJournal. Actually Paul, as the "in house" AZ researcher, you're the one who discovered the article and started a thread on it earlier this year.
I remember now both hand and feet powered.

Seems you an accomplished artist to !

The body alone is going to take some hours ,

Do you expect your head to be about where the word ' slides ' is ?

I suspect in practice the piece labeled tinted will have to be clear to see where the front wheel is and is going ?

Paul

Last edited:
The interesting wheels, the all alloy frame that looks complex, the neat hand drawings, the blue background peices to make the photos better.. wow this is really some project going on here. Nice work.