Warrior trike- 1st build

Thought I'd start this to document the build and ask questions.

A bit of background. General construction, electrical, leathercraft and metalsmithing. Been a DIY guy for a couple years.

Anything that needed to be precise and beyond my limits, I'd ask a buddy to manufacture at his shop.

Currently, I'm down the rabbit hole of motors and chainrings.

Mainly Tsdz2 vs Bbs02.

One thing I'm not sure on is how a Tsdz2 would perform during winter.

I'm in Chicago and the weather here is typically trash for 5 months out of the year. Anytime randomly between December and May, it could be snowing.

Going to be incorporating the steering/brake mount set up Emiel is running in the second build. Emiel was kind enough to share the cad files.

Came to a realization that I wouldn't be able to address my concern with the Chicago winters using just one motor unless I picked up a cyc x1 stealth mid drive.

Decided instead I'm going the route of a BBS02 48V 750W to deal with whatever the winter brings.

During the rest of the year, I'm going the route of DIY building a mid drive setup for a couple different reasons.

Adding to my skills and abilities being the main ones.

You are going to swap mid drive units for winter and summer!? Seems an odd thing to do but I'll look forward to you making one.

You are going to swap mid drive units for winter and summer!? Seems an odd thing to do but I'll look forward to you making one.
I should rephrase. The current goal is to eventually build a mid drive motor from scratch that can power a trike.

Who knows. I might end up super happy with the BBS02 750w full time and not want to swap.

Thought I'd start this to document the build and ask questions.

A bit of background. General construction, electrical, leathercraft and metalsmithing. Been a DIY guy for a couple years.

Anything that needed to be precise and beyond my limits, I'd ask a buddy to manufacture at his shop.

Currently, I'm down the rabbit hole of motors and chainrings.

Mainly Tsdz2 vs Bbs02.

One thing I'm not sure on is how a Tsdz2 would perform during winter.

I'm in Chicago and the weather here is typically trash for 5 months out of the year. Anytime randomly between December and May, it could be snowing.
The tsdz2 will work fine.
I think that you will have more problem with traction as it is slippery than lack of power.

It's been a fun couple weeks.

Research, sourcing parts, etc, etc...

Eventually decided between picking up a Tsdz2 or a Bbs02.

Went with buying a CYC X1 Stealth. Should be here in June/July.

When it shows up I think I'm going to make molds of the chainrings (went with 38T for winter and 46T for the rest of the year) and the planetary gear system.

For my wants that seemed the best choice.

Some days I'm going to want the pedal assist and other days I'm going to be blowing off steam racing around like it's an ATV.

Going to need to build or buy a spot welder.
Haven't decided whether to build 1 or 2 batteries from the case of 26650's that showed up.

Still need to order hubs and some other stuff.

Been practicing my welding skills. Right now working on a table to make the trike build easier.

Powerful motor.
As you use it as an atv, reinforce some parts of the frame.

I have a small spot welder and it worked great for my battery.
It has a battery inside and can also be used as a power bank.

Powerful motor.
As you use it as an atv, reinforce some parts of the frame.

I have a small spot welder and it worked great for my battery.
It has a battery inside and can also be used as a power bank.

Definitely going to reinforce the frame. Don't need it coming apart while doing 25mph in traffic.

Was tempted to grab the CYC X1 Pro, but I know myself. I'd find myself wanting to test the motor out and let it rip on the highway at 4am.

That 2 in 1 spot welder you've got sounds pretty convenient.

hahaha I know that feeling.
I had to test the throttle on my motor. I will not ad it on my trike, but i had to try it one time.

Had some things show up through AliExpress.

Disc brakes and mounts. Still waiting on the calipers so I can measure them for pads.

Also picked up a set of ICE front wheel hubs. They showed up a couple days ago.

Next up to figure out is rims and spokes.

They do, but I'm in the US.

There was no option on their site to ship here. Have to piece something together due to the US distributor not having a lot of options.

Fun little rabbit hole all this is. Right now looking at a set of 20" Alienation Black Sheep BMX rims for the front.

Last edited:
After sifting through rim options on and off for awhile, it dawns on me that I live in Chicago... time to look at fat tire rims to deal with the joys of snow...

Fat rims may not go with the ice hubs unless they are specifically fat hubs. Wide rims need wide hubs or they loose triangulation against lateral loads.

Fat rims may not go with the ice hubs unless they are specifically fat hubs. Wide rims need wide hubs or they loose triangulation against lateral loads.
I get that. Saw that ICE has a fat tire hub set.

Haven't picked up a back hub yet. So I'm thinking the front being as planned, but the back being a fat tire.

Package showed up yesterday.

Within the next couple days, I'll be stopping by Menards. Gotta make a truing stand to build some wheels.

20" Alienation Runaway rims X 20" x 2.4" Shadow Conspiracy Creeper tires.